Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Possible To Get From 1 Comp To Another On Wireless Network?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:33 PM

I've recently hooked up my sons machine on a wireless network (my comp sends signal via wireless router, his recieves it). Everything there works great, internet and chat and all that jazz....no problems.

What I'm wondering is if I can set it up so that he can get to the the hdd and externall hdd that I have on my comp and xfer files from my machine to his. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:02 PM

Sure! What operating system is running in each computer? Well, if both are windows, it's as simple as run the Home network assistant in each computer; enable shared resources (be sure to set same workgroup for both); and share folders or drives (after home network is set, right click on the resource you want to share and choose "Share"). I suggest you to share folders only, and, if possible, set passwords.

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:07 PM

:thumbsup: Ohhh...it's that easy! Ok, I'll give it a try when I get home.

Now, what's the point of having a password if it's only going from my machine to his, and there's only our 2 machines in the house? Can a hacker get in and steal my files or muff up my comp?

Oh, and both systems have winxp pro on them. Linksys wireless router system @ 54mbs.

Thanks again!!!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:30 PM

:thumbsup: It's only a learned habit of mine, just like seat belts. Since most of my work involves setting networks for offices and shops, security is a must. I don't think there are real chances of a hacker getting into your network, but, you never know.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:17 PM

And your son could have friends over who are less careful with your files than he would be.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:09 PM

I did it....and yes, it was simple! Thanks for the help Cyclica!

Rimmer, good point! It would really suck to lose everything on my external hdd! I've limited what he can do from his machine to mine. He can only see what's on the hdd and xfer it to his computer. Or can he just see it and can't xfer it from the drive to his computer? Either way, he can't save to the external drive or alter it's contents, so if I lose something there, it's my own fault..........but I'll blame him anyways :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:44 PM

Also a thing is with the passwords make sure you got a password on the router of yours too because anyone could park a car in front of your house use a laptop with a wireless card get into the router within a couple of minutes and download all those files...

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:12 PM

Oh yes, I have a password on my router. It's a password that no one will ever ever guess. Ever.

*Note to self.....change router password from "password" to something else. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users