Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why can't Win7 remember window size & position like XP??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 videobruce

videobruce

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

What is the rational (if there actually is any) of not allowing one to save window size & position (other than the last window opened)? :confused:

Without using a 3rd party program (which seems to be the norm with Win7) has someone found a way to allow saving resized windows other than the last window opened??

Edited by videobruce, 07 January 2012 - 01:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

That functionality is built into the application by the developers. All of my applications remember their sizes and positions on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

#3 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

The 'app' is the O/S.
Maybe I should of added an 'Explorer' window, but I figured that would be taken for granted

Edited by videobruce, 07 January 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

No the application is like AOL Instant Messenger. There are certain attributes in the coding that allows Windows to remember Windows size and position on your screen.

If you have multiple Windows Explorers open, and you resize one of them and close that one last it will remember that last one's attributes.

And yes when posting issues that you are having include the application name and other information.

If the application does not have that coding in the programming, then the Windows API will not remember the position and size of that application / window.

Also multiple monitor's and displays play a huge role in this. If your application is on another monitor with more desktop space like 1920x1080 and you move it to another screen then that window will be located in another location and position and when you net use it it will be brought up in the new location. It will also be resized.

#5 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

Again, I'm only talking about an Explorer window. Nothing else.
If I was talking about an 'app', I would of stated so.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

that is also considered an application. but as I stated previously if you have 15 of them opened resized and repositioned the 15th closed all the other ones out and then closed the one you resized and repositioned then windows will remember that last one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users