Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Music Folders & Files Disappeared

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 countrysquire

countrysquire

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

This is a strange problem and I hope that I'm posting it in the right place. Did a search, but could not find anything.

System:

System is XP Pro SP3 and seems to be running fine. Most of my music files are kept on a second HDD (i:) dedicated to storing music and photos, with all of the music in the 'My Music' folder, with sub folders for each artist. The library consists of over 8,000 items, most in .flac format, ripped from my CDs. I have a Logitech Squeezebox which accesses the library through the squeezebox server software on the computer. Other installed music software is Windows Media Player 11 and Media Monkey.

Problem:

Accessed the 'i:\My Music' folder yesterday and noticed that all of the library had disappeared with the exception of folders starting with the letter A. The capacity of 'My Music' shows about 4gb instead of what should be ~100gb. However, when checking the capacity of the drive, well over 100gb had been consumed as is normal. Showing hidden and system files did not change anything. Not sure when this happened as I don't access this drive very often, only when I'm moving files, adding music etc.

When I open Media Monkey or the squeezebox server, both show the complete library and will play the music instantly. Windows Media Player is unable to access the files however. Also, Media Monkey has the option of viewing files in file manager. Doing this pops open a My Computer window, showing the proper name and files, i.e. 'i:\my music\pink floyd\wish you were here'. Clicking the up icon on the tool bar to go back to 'i:\my music' but is then only showing the folders that start with the letter A, just as before.

Tried running a system restore with a restore point of a month ago, but it didn't change anything. Has anyone seen anything like this? I really appreciate any help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 countrysquire

countrysquire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:50 AM

No ideas? This has really got me stumped and I'm afraid to try doing very much in fear that the data will be overwritten.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users