Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quest for a Free Antivirus Program that works with Microsoft Server '08.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FRiNKEL

FRiNKEL

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:00 AM

So, here's my situation. I started out today having a Vista installation that wouldn't boot. If I tried booting it up normally, it'd either refuse to continue through the booting process at a certain point, or it would just freeze. After all of the pain and trouble I had gone through to get that copy of Vista to continue working for me, I decided enough was enough, and I was sick of all of the maintaining I had to do for the PC. So, since the only Vista install CD in this house was lost, I decided to install a copy of Microsoft Server 2008 I had downloaded from Dreamspark earlier, and use it for noncommercial, leisure use.

Fortnately, everything I expected to not work out, worked out just fine. The system installed fine, the verification worked well, everything was great... And then reality struck when I realized I didn't have an antivirus solution.
I looked on the Net for antivirus products. But then, that was when I realized, instead of being able to simply download a free antivirus, the antivirus companies instead want me to pay for a version that works on server OSes. Now, that'd be all fine and dandy if I was really a company and I had company money to spend, but I'm not, and I don't have any money to waste throwing money at antivirus companies for protection I could get for free if I had another OS.

So, with that in mind, does anybody know any 100% free, trusted antivirus solutions that would work with a copy of Windows Server 2008? Or, alternately, if I could find a way to get a legitimate Vista install, I could just use my old product key and that should work... right? Just please, someone help me. I can't stand going on the Net without proper antivirus protection, and my budget for buying such programs simply doesn't exist.

EDIT: I just looked on the Net, and found Clamwin, however I need something that'll scan in realtime. (Would Microsoft Security Essentials work?) And after the whole antivirus deal, I also need a firewall. Yes, a firewall for a server OS, because I need this for leisure use, not for a huge server that'll hold all of my cat pictures for people on the Internet to see.

Edited by FRiNKEL, 07 January 2012 - 06:14 AM.

"I've done so much with so little for so long, they now expect me to do the impossible with nothing." - Source unknown to me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:43 AM

Information here re: your question about MSE...

MSE + Windows Server 2008

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

http://www.clamwin.com/

don't know how good it is but was the only free one for MS Server I could find
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#4 FRiNKEL

FRiNKEL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

Tulsa: Thank you. Now I know that I can easily at least try MSE as an unsupported OS if I can't find anything else. It's better than nothing.

TOS: ClamWin doesn't have a realtime scanner, something I really need. But it should have some use to me if I can't find a better supported solution.

Woohoo, turns out Spybot Search and Destroy works on a Windows Server 2008 machine. Now to find a firewall.
"I've done so much with so little for so long, they now expect me to do the impossible with nothing." - Source unknown to me

#5 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

Hello,

A little information about Spybot.
Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware are no longer recommended
  • mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products)
  • Further, most people don't understand Spybot's TeaTimer or how to use it and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.
  • More effective alternatives are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

Have a look here:
Freeware Replacements for Common Commercial Apps

" Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users