Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compression shortcuts

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 leyther

leyther

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:58 AM

Hi everyone

Happy new year to you all.

I need some help with a problem thats been bugging me a while. I tried a couple of other forums but I dont think I asked the right questions.
Anyway here goes.

I have a friend who has access to my laptop and uses the guest account, he is pretty well clued up on computers and software etc, I myself am not.

Recently he asked me which browser I used, I told him chrome, I thought this odd so I checked out the history and found on Internet Explorer a file called CP. This led to a tab with a lot of cyrillic text and a title http ://www.bing.com/fd/sa/cp.html.

I also found a GZip file in the history under google which opened text with squares in it. This now appears under google automatically whenever I open the guest account with the heading compresssion test.

I have noticed my friend seems to know the odd thing that they may have found out from my pc. Rather than let myself get paranoid I want to ask whats going on but I need to know some basics before I do.

So the questions I need answers too are

Is it possible that what I have found is being used to check on what web pages I view etc and download and collect them.

If so will there be evidence in logs etc that I can find.

Can it be read remotely and regularly or does it have to be done locally and transferred by email or to a phone with internet access.

I am on windows 7 by the way.
Your help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Leyther

Edited by leyther, 07 January 2012 - 06:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

Gzip is any of several software applications used for file compression and decompression. The term usually refers to the GNU Project's implementation, "gzip" standing for GNU zip

About Gzip

gzip (GNU zip) is a compression utility designed to be a replacement for compress.

gzip Home Page

How To Optimize Your Site With GZIP Compression
Google Compression Test

Since your friend is computer savy, why not ask him to teach you what this is all about so that you can learn too.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users