Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to run XP SP3 from CD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 samandtabitha

samandtabitha

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

I have downloaded the XP SP3 iso from microsoft's website. I burned it to a CD to run on my desktop. After inserting the disk in the drive, the pc tries to read the disk but nothing ever loads. If I open the folder and try to run it manually, I get a message that windows cannot read the disk, it is not formatted correctly. I'm very novice, and am not sure what to do. I tried rebooting to see if it would work then, but no success. Any help is much appreciated :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

What kind of CD is this? Can you try downloading the executable while in Safe Mode with Networking, or do you have a slow connection and thats not feasible?

#3 samandtabitha

samandtabitha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:10 AM

The disc is a CD-R, 700MB. It says for music on the package label, but I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I can't download it from the pc that needs it because I'm unable to connect to the internet with it. I'm having the same problem as another member and he solved it with the SP3 installation.

Here is a link to his topic : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic436487.html/page__pid__2539762#entry2539762

Basically I'm trying to replicate his actions.

#4 samandtabitha

samandtabitha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

Ok. I went back to the microsoft website and found an .exe download that I am now downloading and waiting to try. I will let you know what happens!

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:25 AM

So you were infected?

#6 samandtabitha

samandtabitha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:29 AM

Yes I was. But it's been a while since it first happened (had a baby about 3 days after originally starting the war on the virus) and I can't remember which virus it was or a lot of the other things I had tried. I finally gave up after digging back in several weeks later and bought a new pc. I just happened to read the other topic I linked here and thought it would be worth a shot to hook the old one back up and try the SP3 install.

#7 samandtabitha

samandtabitha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:19 AM

Well I successfully ran the update, but no improvement. Looks like I will visit the Am I infected? forum. Thanks all who took time to try and help!

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:11 AM

Post there then post back here with a link and ill request this one be closed.

#9 samandtabitha

samandtabitha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:31 AM

Here is the link to the post in the Am I infected? forum. Thanks again!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic436731.html/page__p__2541598__fromsearch__1#entry2541598

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:36 AM

To avoid possible confusion, this topic is closed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users