Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UL50VT wont Connect HDMI to Sylvania LD320SSX .. No screen..

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MarsianTechNIX

MarsianTechNIX

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hello, I seem to be having an issue i cant figure out. I have an Asus UL50VT (Windows 7 Ult x64) laptop with the GeForce G210m video card drivers are up to date and Im trying to connect it via HDMI to my Funai/Sylvania LD320ssx 32" HDTV(with updated firmware). the problem IM having is if my TV is turned onto a normal "Cable" channel my computer can see it and registers the display as "Sylvania" under my multiple monitors section of NVidia control panel but the moment i turn the channel to HDMI 1 OR 2 on tv the display name goes away and I can do nothing to it. Ive somehow got it to work once or twice by plugging and unplugging the HDMI cable while turning on or off different programs but when i tried to watch any media it drops display, have tried swapping HDMI out with 6 different HDMI cables yet I cant get it to maintain a display .. Im really at end of my rope here... i have read, read, and read online but cant seem to find anyone that seems to be having same problem as me Ive tried all the settings on NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL/ and windows display settings that I can without success so if anyone has an idea PLEASE SUGGEST!

*I also restored the computer back to factory Windows 7 home that didnt help so reupgraded to W7 Ult*
Thanks for any suggestions!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

Is there a button combination that you use to switch displays?

#3 MarsianTechNIX

MarsianTechNIX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

When the computer "Sees" the TV when it is on a cable channel I can switch between displays with the Fn + F8 key and it will cycle through Laptop, HDMI, and laptop+HDMI. Unfortunately, as soon as I change the TV to HDMI 1 or 2 Input the screen flashes black for a second and only stays on laptop and i cant adjust or see "Sylvania" under display properties as a viable display... its like HDMI has been disabled or something.

**Side NOTE*** I dont know of any group policies that would disable JUST the HDMI without effecting the rest of the vid card...or if there are, where to locate them, because they dont seem to be in the group polices snap in. I thought I had a virus at first so I bought malware bytes PRO and updated completely ran the flash and file scans but both came back clean. So then I recovered to factory settings thinking it was a service failure with the windows 7 ultimate. it still happens and this is a recent thing I HAVE used this as a display before with absolutely NO problems.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:59 AM

Is the HDMI Cable inserted in either HDMI 1 or 2 IN slots on the TV?

#5 MarsianTechNIX

MarsianTechNIX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:17 AM

Yes, I first tried it in HDMI 1 had TV (cable channel say ESPN) going can see all the display properties and the computer recognizes the tv as "Sylvania" and can edit the tv properties I change the channel to HDMI 1 INPUT the screen flashes black and I loose the "Sylvania" display under multiple monitors and only see the laptop monitor availible for adjustment. So I Unplugged the cable put it into HDMI 2 on TV again screen flashes black I can recycle through them and see "Sylvania"... but then I hit the channel on tv to turn to HDMI 2 and the screen flashes black and wont cycle through Fn+F8...

I do come from strong computer background and it is my profession as well which is why Im having such an issue with this and why I am at my wits end with this Issue ...

#6 MarsianTechNIX

MarsianTechNIX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

....anyone else have any Ideas?
please its not just a matter of convenience the laptop screen itself is cracked from my wee-one walking on it and i really need to make this operational again...Ive put this question to 37 message boards including manufacturers sights and still cant seem to get a response of any ideas at least i had cryptodan give it a moments thought here... buying a new vga monitor isnt an option unfortunately.

Edited by MarsianTechNIX, 08 January 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

had you told me that your son stepped on it, then I would tell you that unfortunately that damage could be very well preventing you from configuring the monitor as a second display. You cannot do something you cannot see. My only recommendation is to get it fixed or buy a new lap top.

#8 MarsianTechNIX

MarsianTechNIX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

But i CAN see a portion of the screen i can see enough in the top left hand corner that i can right click and open properties and move windows around so that i can see everything I just dont have the entire screen. its just annoying having to reposition the window to be able to be seen. when i have a cubby that my laptop can sit in right next to my HDTV which has doubled as a monitor before and I can hook up my wireless keyboard and mouse and not loose productivity. The ISSUE is WHY will my Computer read my tv as a sylvania tv/display when on a normal tv channel allow you to change display settings refresh rate and all that but as soon as I switch it to HDMI 1 Input with it Plugged into HDMI 1 input does the display go away?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

You need to tell the computer to use Display 2 aka your TV as your display via the Display Properties.

#10 MarsianTechNIX

MarsianTechNIX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

Yes, I have done that with the TV on a normal channel where the computer will read the TV is pluged in ,only when i switch the TV to HDMI1 input it no longer shows "Sylvania" as a viable display. and I no longer have the Fn+F8 Hotkey ability to switch between Laptop: HDMI: Laptop+HDMI ... It stays on laptop like HDMI has been disabled somehow... is there a global policy or registry entry that could be disabling HDMI connectivity upon source connection that Im not aware of? I went through both gpol snapin and regedit and didnt see anything...

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

You will need to plug the HDMI Cable into HDMI Input 1 and switch it to HDMI 1 on the TV then use the computer to select that device as your primary monitor.

#12 MarsianTechNIX

MarsianTechNIX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

It DOES NOT Recognize the TV when I have the TV on HDMI 1. It goes away. I have NO display available to me but the laptop. It doesn't even show me a generic plug n play monitor. It doesn't give me any options available for the laptop display at that point. Like I said before its like as soon as there is an HDMI source it disables it.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

What happens if you power the laptop on with HDMI plugged in?

#14 MarsianTechNIX

MarsianTechNIX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:24 AM

It still doesn't register that its there I have to turn to a cable channel say ESPN for the computer to flash and read it as a Display. but once i turn it back to HDMI input it disappears again

Is it possible there is a HDMI global policy Im Missing i went through the snap-in and didn't see anything

Edited by MarsianTechNIX, 09 January 2012 - 02:25 AM.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

Then you have the cabling wrong. You should not be getting any monitor detection via regular cable channels. There is nothing in GPO that is set preventing HDMI output to your TV. Either the cabling is wrong or your lap top is broken more then we realize.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users