Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hosting symfony / php

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Datun Walnut

Datun Walnut

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

Hi,

I have been developing websites using nothing but HTML and CSS for a few years now - they've always served me well and I've never needed anything else. Now a largish company has asked me to host their already built website. It seems that their hosting company has closed and left them with backups of their website that they need hosting elsewhere. I've had a look at it and it's in symfony and php and frankly I haven't got a clue.
As I understand it, I'm not required to do anything to the website, just host it.

How do I go about getting it onto the server? It's about 88mb and If I try to FTP it, it fails due to many files having the same name and trying to replace it each other. Do I need to install symfony to do it?

Thanks in advance

DW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

Symfony is just a development framework for PHP web applications: http://symfony.com/about

You can download the latest version (assuming that's the version they want to use) from here: http://symfony.com/download

Untar it, throw it in your htdocs folder, and navigate to: http://localhost/symfony/web/config.php to configure everything (no "installation" required). They may already have a working setup of Symfony, in which case you would just copy it to your server. (Note: if you don't have PHP installed, you can get it from: http://php.net)

it fails due to many files having the same name and trying to replace it each other

I'm not sure what this means. Where are you trying to put everything? What format is the backup in (.tar.gz, .tar, .zip, just directories, etc.)? There shouldn't be conflicting names if you copy the directory structure as-is.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

What type of file do you have? What control panel did their previous host give them? Can you post what the file name looks like. If it's something along the lines of cpbackup-12122012-user.tar.gz it's going to be a cPanel backup file.

The website can be hosted almost anywhere, the problem you're going to run into is when you import it onto the new server you're going to have permission issues as well as correct path problems. This can usually be avoided by using whatever backup system was used to restore to a new server.

Was the backup file a .zip, .tar, .tar.gz? What was the original filename of the archive if it was one?

The real question comes down to what the file structure looks like.

Can you open up My Computer and browse to the directory of the files and take a screenshot?

Any other information you can provide would help to determine the best way to restore the site.

I know I can do it, just need to know a few things first.
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users