Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What happened to the WiFi?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JannEd

JannEd

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

First I am going to give you a nutshell version of my history with this. I am working with a Compaq Presario CQ60 running Win7 upgrade from Vista. This is the second time I have been given this laptop to work on because the owner is a clicker/downloader, if you know what I mean. The first virus was a rootkill and it took me a few days to realize the only thing I could do was wipe and restore. That was way last year. NOW I have it back because after he tried to install the update to Adobe reader (which didn't download all the way, but he insists that is where this came from). After that he could not connect to the net. He uses AT&T Mobile something. I don't have DSL available where I live so I came here to my daughter's to get on hers, which happens automatically as soon as Windows loads. At least on my system.

I spent a better part of a week the last time I had that machine on DSL through the WiFi card. That was then. Now I don't care what I do, and believe me I have done everything. When I open the AT&T Manager, it says there isn't a WiFi card installed. Trust me there are two, according to Device Manager. One Atheros and the other RealTek something. I have enabled them both, disabled one and then the other. Nothing. I can get on the net with dialup but I need to download the definitions for Spyware Doctor before I can run it. The only issue I would like resolved here is the connectivity one. The virus one will be in another forum.

I cannot find a physical button on that laptop to turn on the WiFi. I understand there may be a combination of the f keys that turn it on. I don't know, all I do know is that before I had no problem connecting to this DSL and now I can't. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Jann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agent24

Agent24

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

Can you use Windows to configure the wireless? If not, do you see the wireless NIC in the BIOS?

#3 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

Can you use Windows to configure the wireless? If not, do you see the wireless NIC in the BIOS?

I did use Windows to configure it. Got the DSL pass code in there etc. I haven't mucked about in the BIOS, mostly because I forgot that. Will get back to this in a bit. Forgot that my system needed the cooling pad so it shut down and have to wait until it likes me again. I am in the process of running MBAM on the compaq and that will take a bit.

There is this AT&T USB LG thing that plugs in and the light flashes blue, the Device Manager told me it was working, but that was a wash. The thing that makes me so aggravated about this is that the first thing I noticed was he uninstalled Avira and let MBAM go beyond 90 days on the update. Looks to me like he was depending solely on M$ Win7 Defender. What a crock that is. Back with you in a bit. Thanks for your answer!!

Jann

#4 Agent24

Agent24

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

is the AT&T USB you referring to a wireless adapter? If so, see if you can find a model number. You may need to install the latest software.

#5 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

is the AT&T USB you referring to a wireless adapter? If so, see if you can find a model number. You may need to install the latest software.

Yes it is a wireless adapter and the driver/software is up to date. I just don't know and right now I am thinking putting the thing behind a truck's tire and rolling over it really really fast would help.

Back with ya in a bit.

J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users