Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delete non 64 bit programs?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 amason51

amason51

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

I have Secunia on my computer, which is 64bit. Secunia says I have several programs duplicated some with 64 bit after the name....can I delete the non 64bit programs?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

You may not want to. It depends on what the programs are. For example when Windows 7 674 bit is installed it installs both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of Internet Explorer. Which also means you can end up with Java both 32Bit and 64Bit.

Did Secunia flag any of the 32 bit programs?

What programs are they? Do keep out of date programs updated however.

Personal opinion, as I have to keep reminding a friend, he gets worried when he has used 35% of his drive space.
If it isn't broke don't fix it.

To put it another if the computer is running fine don't break it.
If you feel you have to get rid of those 32 bit programs I would first clone my boot drive so I can revert, just in case.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 amason51

amason51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:17 AM

You may not want to. It depends on what the programs are. For example when Windows 7 674 bit is installed it installs both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of Internet Explorer. Which also means you can end up with Java both 32Bit and 64Bit.

Did Secunia flag any of the 32 bit programs?

What programs are they? Do keep out of date programs updated however.

Personal opinion, as I have to keep reminding a friend, he gets worried when he has used 35% of his drive space.
If it isn't broke don't fix it.

To put it another if the computer is running fine don't break it.
If you feel you have to get rid of those 32 bit programs I would first clone my boot drive so I can revert, just in case.

Thanks for the advice....I`ll leave well alone. Secunia didn`t flag any of the 32bit programs.

The following are the duplicate programs:

CCleaner
M/soft .NET framework
M/soft Visual C++
M/soft XML Core Services

I`ve read in different places that Secunia is/isn`t compatable with 64bit systems? The version of Secunia I have, I downloaded off the 64bit download site so I`m assuming this is compatable with 64bit systems?

Thanks

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

You really do not want to get rid of the Microsoft programs.
CCleaner, hopefully you are not using it on the registry.

Good Luck.
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 amason51

amason51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

You really do not want to get rid of the Microsoft programs.
CCleaner, hopefully you are not using it on the registry.

Good Luck.
Roger

Oh dear I have used the registry bit............I take it I shouldn`t?

Andrew

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

From here on Bleeping Computer
I hope this answers your question

"Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

"

Edited by rotor123, 07 January 2012 - 04:59 PM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users