Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thunderbrid email client, Comodo Email Certificates, Avira IS 2012 questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Econstantine

Econstantine

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hello,

I always use web-based email via the browser at home. I do not use an email client(well in the office we have Outlook). I'd like to use Thunderbird at home with a Gmail account that can be used by the kids. Now I am using Avira IS 2012 and would like to make it scan emails through it's mailguard component.

I have seen Thunderbird work with Avast IS on my brother's pc but I see that for it to scan all emails the SSL/TSL should be deactivated.

I was asking the tech guys at the office about email clients, digital certificates etc and they only remarked "google it"...wow...:( So I came here....

Now my questiosn are:

a. Is it safe to disable SSL/TSL in an email client?
In the office we have that(with Norton Enterprise) and I see an indicator at the bottom of the email message that it was scanned by Norton.

b. Can there be an application that can allow me to have SSL/TSL at the same time have Avira scan my emails...?
I searched google and found out that in Avira it also has to be disabled to let it scan all emails.

c. SSL/TSL is encryption right..? Does not using encryption in email okay..? I mean at home. In the office it's important but at home...opinions please..:)

d. What ports for POP3 IMAP SMTP should I allow Thunderbird to use In the firewall( I use Comodo). If Thunderbird wants connections via other ports other than the default ones...should I allow it or not..?

e. Can an email client be run inside a sandbox? Is it sane enough or crazy..? Just asking here :) My brother tried Thunderbird with Sandboxie and it did not work got an error. But Thunderbird in Avast virtualization(sandbox) worked. He just tried it but did not sandbox Thunderbird.

f. Anyone using Avira and Thunderbird...? or Avira and Outlook for that matter..? Can you share some good settings (safe settings) please...?

g. About email certificates(pardon the very basic/noob questions please)., I see that Comodo offers email certificates free. See HERE

i. What's the purpose for this email certificate..security-wise? How secure are you when using one..? Sorry really need to have a grasp about it prior using one :)

ii. How does it work..?

iii. Is it okay to use one at home? Or am I better off without one..?

iv. How does one use it when sending/receiving emails at home..? How will the receiving end be when you send an email which is digitally signed..? (is that right.. there..I mean when you send an email(while using an email certificate you have in Thunderbird) that email is digitally signed right...?)

v. When you already have one installed in Thunderbrid or Outlook, is it tailored for just one email account right..? Or can I use it for say, 2 accounts I register in Thunderbird..? Will using that certificate digitally sign my emails when using either accounts..?

vi. Anyone using Comodo email certificate..? Any experiences...? I remember vaguely that there was a Comodo certificates fiasco...is the email certificates prone to such..? Opinions again please...thanks you:)

I hope the noob questions about the topic will not bore you guys :) I'd like to understand some more prior taking the plunge.

Will wait for your reply guys. Thanks so much :)

Edited by hamluis, 17 January 2012 - 04:45 PM.
Moved from Business Applications to web Browsing/Email.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

I would highly recommend that you keep TLS/SSL enabled this makes sure that your password and user credentials are not sent in the clear.

if the AV needs to have this disabled then its not a good AV..

The ports are on the setup page for Gmail: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_Gmail_with_Thunderbird_and_Mozilla_Suite

Digital Certs are expensive to create and use, and only vital for businesses and not home users.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users