Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fast Speed with Router slow speed with Modem

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Spyda

Spyda

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

I don't know why but when im running with a router my Download speed and upload speed is 20mbs/3mbs up
but when i don't want to use the router and straight up hook the modem to pc i get around 4-6mbs download and 3mbs up on speedtest.net

This hasn't happen to me before until comcast replaced my old modem with a Huge one with a PHONE JACK on it that sometimes resets itself while i'm gaming.
its an ARRIS touchstone telephony modem, and my Router is a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband router with SpeedBooster.

Edited by Spyda, 06 January 2012 - 12:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

And what are you paying for from comcast?

can you go to http://www.speedtest.net and post a couple speed tests with and without router?

#3 Spyda

Spyda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

Okay i got the same results again, With Router= 20-21mbps download and 3.51 upload, with the Modem alone= 5.40mbps and 3.54 upload. also without the router i notice pages load 2 times slower than with the router. and about what im paying for is something called Silver starter package or Silver Package?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

Are you getting the Performance Starter, because if you then your modem is telling you the truth.

Edited by cryptodan, 06 January 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#5 Spyda

Spyda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

i Talked to them yesterday they said i was supposed to be seeing 12-15mbs download they ran tests seeing no problems then they decided to send a technician for 30$ but i refused thinking someone online could help

#6 Spyda

Spyda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

but im still wondering why its faster with the Router?? even more than what im supposed to be getting 12-15mbps

Edited by Spyda, 06 January 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

What kind of modem do you have?

#8 Spyda

Spyda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

Its an ARRIS, Touchstone Telephony Moden, model: TM402P/110

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

Please go here: http://www.arrisi.com/support/guides/_docs/TM402_User_Guide.pdf and reset the modem by pressing in the reset switch on your particular modem the reset switch is indicated at letter E.

#10 Spyda

Spyda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

Sorry i had to go somewhere on quick notice, i reset the modem and went to speedtest.net the Download speed seems to be lower now 3-4mbps but still 3.5 upload

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

then you are getting the 6megabit a second speed for the starter plan.

#12 Spyda

Spyda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

alright thanks for your help, ill try contacting comcast again

#13 Spyda

Spyda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

So a technician came by and replaced my modem, same problem, my internet connection speed is slower when the modem is directly connected to the computer getting only about 2-5mbps, but with my modem connected to the router i get 20mbps everytime, the upload speed with both of them (Connected to router and not connected) is always the same, the technician told me its fine but not the download speed, he says im getting what im supposed to be receiving when i have the router on(20mbps/3-4 upload). He left leaving me with the router on and saw no solution with the modem directly connected to the PC, he told me i might have disabled something or changed something in the computer to make this happen (probably true)i told him i'd format my computer if i have to but i want to try not to if any one can help.

#14 Spyda

Spyda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

Also while he was checking the issue with the modem through command prompt im guessing he was checking connections to some sites and told me i was receiving packet losses, he doesn't know why but im guessing thats the problem?

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Hook your computer to the modem and perform ping tests to google.com and post the results.

If you were receiving packet loss while connected to the modem then you would receive the same packet loss through the router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users