Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

starting windows 7 on new hardware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lynchy

lynchy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

so last night i went to start my computer and it did this weird thing where a few of the fan LED's would light when i hit the power switch, but nothing else would happen after that (ie. no start up) I fiddled around a little bit this morning trying to resolve that issue, to no avail since theres basically a million problems that could cause that behavior. I have an extra tower of comparable quality, so i figured i would try to use that with my old drive.

When I put the harddrive in, it did as I expected: attempted to start up and failed due to the lack of drivers. I tried running a disk repair, which i figured would include checking and replacing the drivers, but apparently windows has abandoned the old ways of windows 98 ;) So now ive booted into windows xp mini from hiren's boot cd, so i could get rid of the old driver files , but my hard drive isnt showing up in mini xp. any one know any way or have any suggestions on how to get this hard drive to boot on this new machine? I do have a few hard drives and can get a clean install, but I would rather just keep all my settings and programs as they are.

Thanks guys!
Lynchy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

AFAIK Hirens won't see your drive if the controller is set to raid or AHCI.

You can't just delete the old drivers and expect windows to work.

However here is something that may work. Note: That I have not tried this function yet.

I have used it for a regular clone on 4 computers in my little fleet and each clone tested OK, I already had to use one of them to restore my brothers computer after he managed to catch a virus despite being careful. First clue. Antivirus stopped running.

EaseUSŪ Todo Backup Free 4.0
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

"Restore System to Dissimilar Hardware

The feature of "recover to dissimilar hardware" can simplify system migration with restoring system to dissimilar hardware configuration for hardware replacement under WinPE recovery environment."

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software-features.htm

This could work if you have:
1. a working computer
2. a spare drive to clone to. Since the spare drive will be wiped of anything that was on it.

Being very careful, clone to a different drive using the above feature. At that point Windows will detect an install generic drivers for you hardware just as if it were a new install but with all your old programs and settings ready to go.

Please post back how this works if you do it.

OTOH if you are not in a hurry I hope to test this Saturday or maybe Monday, I just need to find a spare drive first. And free up the computer I was planning to use as a test bed. I'm doing data recovery on it right now if that ever finishes.

I had one of my drives go bad with no real warning this past week.

Thanks

Edited by rotor123, 06 January 2012 - 06:23 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 lynchy

lynchy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:58 AM

so in order to use this method, do I need a windows box or will a linux one do? I'm currently SOL for a working windows box. thank you for your help

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

AFAIK You need a windows machine where you can either create a bootable WInPE CD or a Linux Boot CD. Both seem to be done from within Windows or of course run the software within windows.

There is another way I know of but it requires the computer to boot.

Maybe someone else has an idea.

In theory as long as it is a real windows 7 disc you should be able to do a inplace upgrade or you existing windows. However that is different for OEM vs Retail. A upgrade version should always work. As I understand it. And a OEM may require you to start the process within a working windows.

And a system Recovery disc set, never.

Wish I could be more help.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users