Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are the effects if the power supply cannot support the video card?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ervinivin

ervinivin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

Can it cause the computer to suddenly freeze? Can it suddenly cause random slowdowns while using the computer? What?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

Normally if you overload a power supply it will not turn on to protect itself IME.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

Power supplies, by their nature, become less efficient the more load you place on them. Lower-quality (even midrange) PSU's normally clean power output can start to degrade pretty badly at 80% and 90% loads. RAM can be especially sensitive to a 'dirty' power signal and can cause random freezes.

As rotor says, PSUs have over-current protection, but there is a pretty good-sized swath of performance unreliability underneath that protection level.

Edited by LucheLibre, 06 January 2012 - 06:43 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

This is true and it is also why there are filters on the input and output of the Voltage regulator modules for the CPU power and filter caps at the memory slots. OTOH being electrolytic capacitors, especially in older computers, they can start losing effectiveness as they age or just be a junk brand.

I've recapped older motherboards to replace both sets and others here and there and they spring back to life if the dirty power didn't damage other parts on the motherboard.

That is one thing I look at if the computer is flaky. I look for bulging or leaking capacitors. I have a tester that measures all the voltages from the power supply, Not perfect since no load but better than nothing.

I also keep a spare 500watt power supply that I recapped for testing purposes.

I recently used a 38 pc. kit of good brand caps on a Dell Precision 350 dual Xeon workstation and revived it. I sold it off for $199 to someone that needed a decent computer. Ultra 320 SCSI boot drive, 2Gb and XP Pro. He's happy, I'm happy it didn't go to junk. He liked that he could add his old IDE hard drives to it.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 07 January 2012 - 10:35 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

FWIW: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070518160249AAqUXUv

Louis

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

depends it can be really random in my experience. Good quality power supplies will tend to shut themselves down, low end ones can cause random shutdowns, BSODs, even incinerate their insides. . .

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

Or worse My own brother's computer the power supply fried memory, motherboard, CPU, all drives, all add in cards.

The actual metal case was the only thing that could be reused.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users