Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 classy

classy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:13 AM

I am going bonkers here at work! We have 11 computers networked..and the fan on the router has been whirring for 2 days now, nonstop! Any ideas what the problem might be & how to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:44 AM

Any ideas what the problem might be & how to fix it?

Heat, Hot, Full of Dust Bunnies

What Make & Model of router??
Is it possible to pull the cover and see if needs blown out??
It is possible that some heatsinks on the transistors are full or dust and not cooling.
Usually with heat problems you will notice some kind of performance problems.

#3 classy

classy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:59 PM

The front says 24 port/10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Switch

That's all I know about it. Hubby, the accountant & IT guy here says he already tried dusting it. He did hold the can of air up to it & spray...did not take the cover off, but in any event wont do it again cuz he claims he's already done it. I asked if it was dying..he said "probably" and walked away. So...I guess I am stuck with it until he decides to deal with it. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:23 PM

The front says 24 port/10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet Switch

That's all I know about it. Hubby, the accountant & IT guy here says he already tried dusting it. He did hold the can of air up to it & spray...did not take the cover off, but in any event wont do it again cuz he claims he's already done it. I asked if it was dying..he said "probably" and walked away. So...I guess I am stuck with it until he decides to deal with it. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

<<hehe>>

It might be the fan going out.
It might run all the time and just now got noisy enough for you to hear it. Could be temp. controlled too.
If it is temp controlled then it could be a few different things from dust to transistor going bad and staying hot enough to keep the fan running.

Hint
Keep a fire extinguisher handy for when the sparks start flying... :thumbsup: <<j/k>>

Edited by River_Rat, 09 February 2006 - 03:24 PM.

#5 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:38 PM

That fan must be replaced. If the IT guy can't handle it, send it to tech service. Some fans can be serviced, but in most of cases, the service only is effective for a short time.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:27 PM

You can pickup a used 24 port hub/switch for about $20$30. I have a 24 port 3Com Super Stacker II switch I bought used 4 years ago. Works great. Tha is probably a 40mm fan. Only $5, and easy to change. Anyway you go it won't cost much.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users