Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot start Computer Browser service after malware removal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Yogi76

Yogi76

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:45 AM

I had a computer infected with the Win 7 Antispyware 2012 rogue anti-spyware program. I removed it using the the instructions located at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-antispyware-2012. Now, a week after the initial removal, the user suddenly cannot connect to other computers on the network. The "Computer Browser" and "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper" services will not start, failing with Error 1060 and Error 1075, respectively. The user has also informed me that they were still seeing Google redirects during the past week, which leads me to believe that there is still a rootkit installed. I have tried running tdsskiller again, but it says there are no infections. I need help removing whatever is still installed on this computer, as I would rather not have to wipe it clean.

Thanks,
Yogi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Steve Pynne

Steve Pynne

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

I am having the same issue but it was last night that I removed everything. I'll keep searching and post if I find a solution.
Steve

#3 Yogi76

Yogi76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

Some of the other things I've tried so far are:

Resetting TCP/IP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Resetting Winsock - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

Using the System File Checker - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Resetting TCP/IP and Winsock completed, but failed to fix the problem. The System File Checker quits at 53% with the error, "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

Edited by Yogi76, 06 January 2012 - 12:44 PM.

#4 rjkm

rjkm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

Same issue here.

1) Ran several anti-virus, malware checks but no luck

2) Tried SFC multiple times, removed all software for anti-virus, firewalls, same issue with a safe mode start.

3) Have a Windows 7 Home Premium.

Help!!!

Thx

RJKM

#5 Mentor Matt

Mentor Matt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

Having followed the directions by yours truly Bleeping Computer, my XP Antivirus 2012 / Win 7 Antivirus 2012 was removed I think, completely.

However, as you report, the problems with the internet access remain, both wireless and wired.

I traced this down to a solution that appears in other contexts, not just Win 7 Antivirus 2012 malware.

An important registry key was missing -- Adf and the solution that worked for me is here: How To Remove Win 7 Antivirus 2012 Virus

#6 rjkm

rjkm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:57 AM

Matt - thank you

My issue is that I still have Internet access (in hindsight, should have made that clear) but since I cannot start the "Computer Browser service", I cannot enable "Network Discovery" - and therefore cannot access my home network (including network printers/etc). Perhaps, I am incorrectly attributing the Network Discovery issue to my inability to start the "Computer Browser" service.

In any case, I should try your suggestion later tonight

Regards

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:54 AM

To all in this topic still having a connection issue. Please run this tool... Start a NEW topic EACH in the Networking forum and we can fix it,thanks,

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.
  • Make sure the following options are checked:
    • Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center
    • Windows Update
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Yogi76

Yogi76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

I have created a new topic in the Networking forum, as requested. Here is the link to it:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic437124.html

#9 Yogi76

Yogi76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

Mentor Matt, the link you posted was informative. The problem you and others have been having was one of not being able to get on the network at all. From the link you posted, it looks like it was because of the AFD service having been deleted which was causing the DHCP service to fail. However, the problem we are having is that the "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper" and "Computer Browser" services are failing. Using the link you posted as a reference, I discovered that the "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper" service is failing because the netbt.sys file and accompanying registry entries are missing. Now that we've gotten a response from someone at BleepingComputer, I'm going to wait to work with them first before trying to fix it myself.

Edited by Yogi76, 10 January 2012 - 10:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users