Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore operation hangs after reboot. Win7 Home prem+Seagate disc Wizard

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Expert Novice

Expert Novice

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:23 AM

Hi there,

Sorry if this is not the correct place to post this but it seemed the most appropriate option.

I'm trying to restore a backup that is stored on my Seagate Expansion 3TB external drive connected to a HP Pavilion g6 1180SA laptop running Windows 7 Home premium 64bit.

The backup was made recently and seemed to go without a problem. Now, when I try to restore the backup, after going through the set up screens, selecting the backup, which drive to restore to etc and starting the process Disc Wizard reboots the machine. I then get a black screen with 'Starting Seagate Loader...' in the top right corner. The process appears to have stalled at this point with nothing more appearing to happen and no hard drive activity apparent either from the laptop or the external drive. It has been this way for several hours. I think by now the restoration would have completed so the process has stalled.

I have emailed Seagate for advice but really need some quick answers. I don't want to force the machine to shut down if it's half way through restoring. I really does look like it's hung though.

Can anyone advise how I should proceed?

Many thanks

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

I then get a black screen with 'Starting Seagate Loader...' in the top right corner. The process appears to have stalled at this point with nothing more appearing to happen ...

It's usually in the top left-hand corner ...

I think you can be quite sure that the operation has stalled and that the restoration from the backup image has not begun. You should be quite safe to press and hold the power button until the machine switches off. Then start the computer again and it should boot as normal.

Verify the backup with DiscWizard once Windows is back up and running.

Check the hard drive by running the SeaTools diagnostic utility.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

Ah, yes, my mistake. Top left hand corner, sorry.

I verified the backup with DiscWizard before starting the backup process so I'm sure it's ok. Will run SeaTools diagnostic and see what that comes up with although the drive is nearly new but I guess you never know with these things. If all is well there I'll try the restore again.

I've been searching for others with similar issues and there seem to have been a lot of people having problems with DiscWizard. If I still have difficulty with this would I be able to restore the same backup with another utility or will it only work with DiscWizard?

Thanks

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

Why are you attempting to restore a backup image? I ask because perhaps that may be related to your problem?

Have you ever before attempted or successfully restored a DiscWizard backup image on this particular machine, in this manner?

Have you created a bootable CD from within DiscWizard, and tried using that to boot from to either create a backup image or to restore a backup image?

If not, try it. Can you successfully boot this particular machine with the DiscWizard bootable CD?

You asked: "would I be able to restore the same backup with another utility or will it only work with DiscWizard?"
I would expect that the paid version of Acronis may be able to use the image, but I do not know that for sure. Apart from that, I doubt very much whether any other program/utility would be able to use the backup .tib file.

You wrote: "there seem to have been a lot of people having problems with DiscWizard"
Have you seen anything relevant to your situation? If so, please let me know, and provide a link. I use DiscWizard whenever possible myself and have seen very few problems with it.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

No, to be fair I haven't seen anyone else with the same problem as mine, just a few other posts on the Seagate forum from people having issues so I don't mean to knock the softwate itself, just need to get the backup to restore.

DiscWizard was recomended to me a few months ago by another member here after I posted another thread re my issues with windows 7 backup utility. I made regular backups without any trouble. I had installed Ubuntu to trial but decided I wanted to uninstall it. The easiest way seemed to be to run the factory reset operation using the recovery parttion and then restore the most recent backup made with DiscWizard. This is why I wanted to perform the restore. I first validated the backup with DiscWizard, then ran the factory reset and got the machine back to its original state, reinstalled DiscWizard and set the restore operation running. This was the first time I have tried to restore a backup on this machine. I haven't made a bootable CD with DiscWizard so can't say if it'd boot from that or not but if I force it to shut down by holding the power button down and try starting it again I get the same black screen and message followed by a blue screen with a DiscWizard window showing a progress bar which rapidly completes and then the machine reboots again but the backup has not been completed. The machine is in the same state it was before. I have done this three times now with the same result each time.

I thought performing the factory reset would remove all of Ubuntu from the hard drive alkong with all the other files. Am I right about this? Is it possible there's still part of Unbuntu left that's interferring with DiscWizard starting up after the reboot?

From the thread I mentioned above I see you were recomending Macrium so I may have a look at using that in future.

#6 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

BTW, I had an email from Seagate support telling me 'DiscWizard is not used to create a backup'.

(?)

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

DiscWizard was recomended to me a few months ago by another member here
From the thread I mentioned above I see you were recomending Macrium so I may have a look at using that in future.

I was the one who recommended you try DiscWizard ... it was someone else that mentioned Macrium Reflect. But while we are on the subject of free/good imaging/cloning software, EaseUS Todo Backup seems to be good, so put that on your list if you want to try something other than DiscWizard.

Are you able to start the computer and load Windows normally now at all ... or does the machine try to load DiscWizard every time you try to start Windows?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

Yes, the machine starts ok and boots straight to Windows with no sign of DiscWizard except DiscWizardMonitor.exe appearing in Process Explorer as normal so no harm done I guess but would be good to get the backup restored and save some time getting things set up the way I want them again.

Thanks for the EaseUS recommendation. I'll have alook at that and Macrium but might just try reinstalling DiscWizard first. You never know...

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

Create the bootable CD from within DiscWizard and try using that.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

Sorry, yes you did recomment DiscWizard. I was getting Alan confused with Alien. My apologies.

Ok, will do. Thanks

#11 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:45 AM

Ok, so after making the bootable CD in DiscWizard, shutting down, rebooting, hitting esc/f9 for boot options and selecting to boot from CD DiscWizard runs but tells me I need to have at least one Seagate/Maxtor product connected/installed to run the program. All I can do then is hit ok and the machine then shuts down again.

My Seagate drive containing the backups is connected and powered up so it seems DiscWizard is not recognising it when booting from CD.

While DiscWizard is starting there are a couple of error messages appearing but they're too quick to write down. Will try to make a note of them and repost.

(Edited typo)

Edited by Expert Novice, 07 January 2012 - 07:47 AM.

#12 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

Error messgages are as follows...

Seagate logo at top of screen
Loading, please wait...
acronis: insmod : error inserting '/lib/modules/acpiphp.ko' : -1 No such device
:No such device
acronis: insmod : error inserting '/lib/modules/floppy.ko' : -1 No such device
No such device

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

Those "error messages" are normal. I see them when booting from the CD.

Did you create the "Full version" on the CD when offered the choice/option? This contains the drivers to use USB devices. If you used the "Safe Mode/Version" it will not recognise USB devices.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:41 AM

My blue there: It seems is no choice. I just tested and it's the Full version or nothing.

In that case then, DiscWizard is simply not recognising the external hard drive.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:03 AM

Well, I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling DiscWizard and am still getting the same result so the full version seems not to be an option either. Maybe Seagate will be able to throw more light on matter, although going by the email from them yesterday I doubt it.

Perhaps DiscWizard is just not going to work for me.

Thanks again anyway. Will post up any further developments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users