Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD randomly shuts down pc

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 jillc

jillc

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:34 AM

This PC has been having reboot problems for several months - initially the HDD died with bad sectors and was replaced. A few weeks later the problem returned and the HDD was replaced under warranty.
This new HDD is showing the same signs of deterioration .... finding it very difficult to find the problem. The user (who lives alone) is blind and relies on Jaws for the screen reader. So, he never knows what is happening when the system shuts down. This last HDD is managing to restart (which was not happening with the previous drives). Now that I have set the system not to restart, I managed to see the BSOD - it just happened because I was running an online scanner to double check for viruses/malware and a heat monitor to see if the temperature was extreme.
So the BSOD said tht it had a Page Fault_in_Nonpaged_Area.
Technical Info
*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0x8B000001, 0x00000001, 0x805204AE, 0x00000000)
Now I wish I knew how to find that info in the system somewhere so that I could copy and paste!

Here is the info about the system:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
Clock Speed: 2675 MHz
Motherboard: ASUSTeK P7P55D LE
BIOS :0605 - BIOS Date: 09/24/09 18:13:07 Ver: 08.00.15 (20090924)
System RAM: 3062 MB (1333 MHz)
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Hard drive(s): 500GB ST500DM002-1BD142
Hard drive(s): 2GB FLASH Drive UT_USB20 USB Device
Optical drive(s): HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS70
Sound card(s): VIA High Definition Audio
Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP3 (32-bit)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Graphics card specs: Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
RAM: 536870912 bytes (512MB)
Resolution: 1024x768-pixels / 32-bit colour @ 60Hz Max refresh: 75Hz
Driver: nv4_disp.dll Version (Date): 6.14.11.9745 (20100403)
Video DAC: Integrated RAMDAC

Can you please help me to find out what the problem is with this PC?
Thanks.

Also ... I looked at the event viewer. The only thing which is recorded as an error (every 30/40 minutes) in the system section, listed as Service Control Manager - event 7000. I clicked through to the Microsoft help which said "Event_Service_Start_Failed" so I did what it said to run sc query SessionLauncher
SERVICE_NAME: SXessionLauncher
TYPE : 110 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS <interactive>
STATE : 1 STOPPED <NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN>
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 3 <0x3>
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 <0x0>
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0

Can you help me?

Edited by jillc, 06 January 2012 - 05:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:03 AM

Let's try...

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#3 jillc

jillc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

Okay, here is content of file:
==================================================
Dump File : Mini010612-01.dmp
Crash Time : 6/01/2012 6:02:12 PM
Bug Check String : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug Check Code : 0x10000050
Parameter 1 : 0x8b000001
Parameter 2 : 0x00000001
Parameter 3 : 0x805204ae
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+494ae
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.6165 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.111025-1629)
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+494ae
Stack Address 1 : ntoskrnl.exe+6d5f0
Stack Address 2 : ntoskrnl.exe+dd10a
Stack Address 3 : ntoskrnl.exe+dd2aa
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini010612-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
Dump File Size : 90,112
==================================================

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:14 AM

Hmmm...not much to go on.

IMO, recalling what I've seen in the past...a number of STOP 50 errors may relate to malware of some type.

<<This new HDD is showing the same signs of deterioration ....>>

Such as what? You've run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic and base this evaluation on such?

If hard drives are being killed...I would have to suspect the PSU. There is no evidence of other hardware problems?

Have you checked Event Viewer for errors noted about any drive...or other hardware components?

Louis

#5 jillc

jillc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

Malware - has been check several times, most recently the other day via Eset online scanner which I have always found very reliable. It crashed when the scan was at 99% but no faults had been flagged. It is running AVG paid version which I don't like much but it is the most manageable for use with a screen reader.
I can't find the invoice for the case replacement, so I'm not sure if the PSU is new or not.
The behaviour is virtually identical to previously which ended up with the HDD being replaced (twice) because of bad sectors.
The Event Viewer only lists ONE error as detailed in my first post.
Where do I go from here?

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

There's not much to work with so far, so let's get some more information and run some tests.

Step 1: Check to see if some cleaning program (eg. CCleaner) is being run on a regular basis and is removing the minidump files. Disable it, reconfigure it or stop it running automatically, and do not run it manually. We need as many of these saved as possible to use in an attempt to diagnose the problem. The location in which minidumps are saved is:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\

Step 2: I would like you to save two Event Viewer logs and upload them so I can review them.

Please create a new folder on your Desktop, and name it EventLogs.

Go to Start > Run and type eventvwr.msc and press <ENTER>
  • When the Event Viewer window has opened, on the left side, click on System.
  • On the top main menu bar, click Action > Save Log File As ...
  • Enter system as the "File Name" and choose the EventLogs folder on your Desktop as the "Location" to save it.
    (Leave the "Save as type:" as the default setting of "Event Log (*.evt)").
  • Click Save.
Do the same for the Application log:
  • On the left side, click on Application.
  • On the top main menu bar, click Action > Save Log File As ...
  • Enter application as the "File Name" and choose the EventLogs folder on your Desktop as the "Location" to save it.
    (Leave the "Save as type:" as the default setting of "Event Log (*.evt)").
  • Click Save.
Close the Event Viewer window.

At your Desktop, zip up the EventLogs folder
  • Right-click on the folder > Send to ... > Compressed (zipped) Folder.
and attach the zip file to your next post in this thread.
  • When you click on Add Reply, you will see the facility to attach a file just below the box where you type your message.
Note: The BC forums will allow a total attachment size of only 512 kb and what you need to attach may exceed this limit. In that case, please upload the zip file to a file sharing website of your choice and and post a link to it in this thread so that we can access your uploaded zip file.

See the suggestions in the following links for recommendations on file sharing websites:
  • http://lifehacker.com/388284/best-online-file-sharing-services
  • http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/15-great-free-online-file-sharing-alternatives/
  • http://www.smashingapps.com/2008/08/28/5-best-free-file-hosting-services-to-store-your-files.html

Step 3: Please zip up the minidumps and attach the resultant zip file to your next reply so I can have a closer look. There's a chance I might get some more useful info from them.
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump <<< folder
  • Click on the first minidump file to select it.
    If there is more than one minidump file:
    • Hold down the <Shift> key, and click on the last minidump file to select all of the files.
    • Release the <Shift> key.
  • Now, right-click on any one of the selected files > Send to ... > Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    The zip file will be located in the same place (the Minidump folder).
  • Attach the zip file to your next reply.
    When you click on Add Reply, you will see the facility to attach a file just below the box where you type your message.

Step 4: Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.

This is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.

Step 5: Test a Seagate manufactured hard disk drive using SeaTools for DOS run from a bootable CD.

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

Step 6: Test the memory (RAM).

Memory needs to be tested outside of Windows, so memtest86+ is run from a bootable CD.

:step1: To make a bootable CD with memtest86+:
  • Extract the downloaded zip file:
    • In Windows XP, right-click on the zip file and choose Extract all.
      The contents of the zip file (the .ISO image file) will be extracted to a folder in the same location as your zip file.
  • Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
    • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
  • When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step2: Boot from the newly created CD.
  • You may need to configure BIOS or the Boot Menu to boot first from the CD.
  • memtest86+ will begin running automatically: You need do nothing else at this time.
  • Allow memtest86+ to run un-interrupted.
See the screenshots in this informative link: Diagnose with Memtest86+

There MUST be NO errors what-so-ever:
  • If you see an error, stop the test.
  • Then proceed to test each stick of RAM separately to sort the good from the bad.
A minimum test for some confidence in the result, should be 7 full passes (each "pass" is a series of different types of tests), with NO errors.
  • Allow memtest86+ to run for 24 hours for maximum confidence in the test result.
memtest86+ will continue running until you stop it:
  • Press the <ESCAPE> key to re-boot the computer, removing the memtest86+ CD.

Step 7: Run Driver Verifier following the instructions DRIVER VERIFIER - Windows 7 & Vista ... by jcgriff2
  • Notes:
  • There are a few minor differences for XP, but the steps are essentially the same.
    • You will notice that a couple of the options are not available when manually configuring Driver Verifier in XP.
  • Do not omit the first step, to create a System Restore point before enabling Driver Verifier.
  • Read the instructions on how to check the Driver Verifier Status.
  • Read the instructions on how To Turn Driver Verifier OFF when you have finished with it.
  • Read the instructions (and record them on paper so you have them if needed) about what to do IF you cannot start the system normally after it crashes under Driver Verifier.
  • Run Driver Verifier for 36 hours unless the system crashes. It doesn't matter whether you are using the computer or not during that time.
If your system BSOD’s under the Driver Verifier
  • Locate the dump file:
    • C:\Windows\minidump <<< folder
  • Zip it up and attach the zip file to your next post in this thread.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 jillc

jillc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

Hi AustrAlien,
Step 1: can't see anything running
Step 2: file attached with event logs
Step 3: minidump included in same file as step 2
Step 4: I used PC Reporter - results in my first post
Step 6: Before I read your post, I had already set Memtest86 off and running and came back to my office. I left it for a few hours (then I read your reply). I had fully expected to see nothing. I was totally amazed when I went back to his pc and discovered half the screen was red and flashing while numbers were whizzing past - after running for 4 1/2 hours it had not got past Test #1 and was showing 26 million errors. While I was sitting there in amazement and double checking how many numbers where there, it flicked over to more than 27 million errors.

So, I had not expected that. I took out one stick of RAM and restarted Memtest. I let it run for 2 passes and there were no errors. I then swapped over the RAM. This time it looked fine for a couple of minutes and then it started finding dozens of errors.

Step 5: Despite the fact that I figured out that I'd found the cause, I thought I would run the SeaTools check because the previous two drives had developed bad sectors following the continual crashes. I sat and waited for both the short test and the long test and the result was NO ERRORS.

So, I was really pleased. I took out the CD, and restarted the pc. Almost immediately I got a BSOD.

I restarted the system in safe mode, and then in normal mode. I then went to look for the dump file but all I could find was the dump file from the previous crash on the 6th. The event viewer didn't look any different.

Step 7: I have not done this.

Now what? I have left him to do his online grocery shopping and download some music with only 2Gb RAM instead of 4. (It was late, and I was hungry) The screen reader is playing up a bit but that requires the technician from the Blind Assoc to come and fix.

Should I just wait and see or do you think that there may be some other problem lurking in the shadows?

Jill

Attached Files

#8 jillc

jillc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

Sick pc update ....
The computer crashed overnight but the main problem was that Jaws was in demonstration mode. So the Blind Assoc technician arrived to put in the activation code to get Jaws properly operational again. However, when he attempted to put in the code, the system crashed and this time all that happens is a screen which says:
"Windodows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair

Should I do that or is there some other solution? Why would this be happening?

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:45 PM

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Try this to start with ...

Use the Windows Error Checking utility (Check Disk), with the options to fix file system errors and scan the disk surface for errors, attempt recovery of data and repair the disk.
  • Open "My Computer"
  • Right-click on the drive that you wish to check > Properties > Tools > and in the "Error checking" section, click on "Check now".
  • Place a tick in both boxes > Start.
  • If the disk you have chosen is the system disk:
  • A message will notify you that a restart is necessary: Click OK, and close all windows.
  • Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.
    This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • When the disk check is complete, the system will re-start automatically and load Windows.
Success?

A log of the disk check is recorded only if the scheduled re-start is used, and only for drives on the same HDD as the Operating System.
To open Event Viewer and view the log:
  • Go to Start > Run > and type eventvwr and press the <ENTER> key.
    The Event Viewer window will open.
  • In the left pane, click on Application.
  • In the right pane, at the top, click on the column heading Source to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Look in the Source column for "Winlogon", with an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
  • Double-click on that entry to view the log.
  • Click on the Posted Image button to copy the log text to the clipboard.
  • Paste the log text into your next reply.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:53 PM

Sorry: My mistake ... visitors are distracting me ...

Start the Recovery Console using a Windows XP installation CD (or an XP Recovery Console CD).
  • Insert the CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.
  • Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to.
    If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would type the number (that is 1, 2, or 3 etc) associated with the installation you would like to work on (usually C:\Windows) and press the <ENTER> key.
    Please advise if you are not seeing C:\Windows listed (and you think that you should).
    If you have just one Windows installation showing, type 1 and press <ENTER>.
  • You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press <ENTER>.
  • You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt.
    Please advise if you are not seeing a C:\WINDOWS> prompt (and you think that you should).
At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER> (Note: There is a space between "chkdsk" and "/r")
  • This will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /r again, and repeat if necessary.
Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.

Does Windows start normally now?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:00 AM

Why would this be happening?

When the system crashes, it usually causes file system corruption, and it is this that is most often the cause of the error message that you are seeing, namely:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

If chkdsk /r cannot fix the problem, we will need to perform an off-line restoration of the registry hives.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:35 AM

I have reviewed the information provided to date and have not been able to come up with anything other than what we already know: The memory (RAM) was causing a problem, and in the case of the minidump provided, was the cause of that crash.

Probably caused by : memory_corruption

The Event logs are pretty much useless: Apparently the system is configured to not write much (such as system failure) to the Event logs. To check your system's "Recoveros" (Recovery) and Page File settings via Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), please download and then run the following:
I would also very much like to see the Speccy report, as per the instructions provided earlier.

BSOD BUGCHECK SUMMARY
Loading Dump File [C:\CactusIsland\jillc_BC\Mini010612-01.dmp]
Built by: 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.111025-1629
Debug session time: Fri Jan  6 20:56:33.281 2012 (UTC + 11:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 1:42:01.271
Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : memory_corruption
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  CODE_CORRUPTION
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x50
PROCESS_NAME:  System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  MEMORY_CORRUPTION_STRIDE
Bugcheck code 10000050
Arguments 8b000001 00000001 805204ae 00000000
BiosVersion = 0605   
BiosReleaseDate = 09/24/2009
CPUID:        "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU         750  @ 2.67GHz"
MaxSpeed:     2670
CurrentSpeed: 2675

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 jillc

jillc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:51 AM

I've had chkdsk running since about midday and it is now 5.30 - it has just reached 73% so I don't know how long it will take to finish. Actually, it was okay until it got to 50% - at least I noticed that it hadn't budged from 50% for a long time and has been very sluggish ever since. So I can't do anything more right now.

Thank you for sticking with me. Tomorrow is Wednesday which translates as day-off. I always take Wednesdays off no matter what. So unless something leaps ahead within the next hour ... I'll talk to you on Thurs.

Jill.

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:56 AM

I've had chkdsk running since about midday and it is now 5.30 - it has just reached 73% so I don't know how long it will take to finish. Actually, it was okay until it got to 50% - at least I noticed that it hadn't budged from 50% for a long time and has been very sluggish ever since. So I can't do anything more right now.

chkdsk is obviously finding something that needs doing! Do not interrupt or stop it under any circumstances: Let it finish in its own good time. There's nothing you can do about the time taken to complete the scan. I am fairly comfortable with that, knowing that you have checked the HDD with SeaTools and found no problems.

Thursday will be fine with me. Catch you then.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 jillc

jillc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

The 2nd runthrough with chkdsk found no errors.
I started the system this morning and it loaded up the desktop, the AVG popup appeared to say it was running and then the system rebooted and hung at the Windows logon screen. After 10 mins I restarted it and got into safe mode and then I restarted as Administrator and changed the logon name to the correct spelling. Then restarted and this time it seems okay.
I then tried to run the recoveros program but all it does is come up with a blank Notepad screen. I tried again downloading it directly instead of from my membory stick, but no luck. I then returned to my own pc to run this program and I get an error message from Rogsoft Notepad+ saying "could not open" (I don't use Notepad).

The Speccy report is here: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/mwPyA3BpaDXiGoYabwsPw2B

After the system totally crashed, I brought it back here, but I want to take it back this morning if I can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users