Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard disk not working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mark.3unj800

Mark.3unj800

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:23 AM

I got a new dell inspiron laptop for christmas, but for some reason the hard disk is already giving me trouble. Today, the computer froze when trying to shut down windows, so I held down the power button for a few seconds to force it to shut down. The next time I tried to boot up, it took forever for anything to work (about 4 minutes to the animated windows logo), and then ran a disk check. It said that it found and repaired some problems with the MFT, and rebooted. It managed to boot up completley, but everything was extremely slow and sluggish. After another reboot I managed to get it working semi-normally, and it wasn't too slow. However, after an hour of running, it froze again, and I shut it down again. After that, the computer never even got to booting windows. I got a message telling me to select a proper boot device.

I ran Dell's diagnostic utility, and it failed on the hard disk check. It gave me an error code of 2000-0151. I also tried booting a linux live CD, and it took a long time to start up. It kept giving the error message "ata1: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)", and I heard some strange clicks afterwards, but it eventually started up. It took much longer than usual to mount the hard disk, but strangely enough I was able to get at least partial access to the disk. It froze when trying to access one of the folders, and after a while it clicked again. gparted couldn't detect the hard disk.

Is there something I can try to fix it? Or does it have to be replaced?

EDIT: Also, in the boot device menu, the hard disk does not appear.
EDIT2: I can no longer access the hard disk in any way from within linux

Edited by Mark.3unj800, 06 January 2012 - 05:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

<<I ran Dell's diagnostic utility, and it failed on the hard disk check. It gave me an error code of 2000-0151.>>

Per Dell, http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=266787#Issue2:

"Remove and reinstall the Hard Drive for the error codes:
1000-0141
2000-0141
1000-0142
2000-0142
1000-0143
2000-0143
1000-0144
2000-0144
1000-0145
2000-0145
1000-0146
2000-0146
2000-0151

Please see the Service manual for instructions on how to remove and replace the Hard Drive. Be sure to remove and reinstall the cables for the hard drive if you are on a Desktop Computer.

After reinstalling the hard drive re-run the diagnostics if you receive the same error code Contact Us.

Run the Drive Self Test (DST) from the Utility Partition also known as the 32 bit diagnostics to determine if the previous error has been corrected. If the DST from the Utility Partition does not indicate a failure of the drive, we consider the error to have been corrected and the drive does not need to be replaced.
1000-0146
2000-0146
For instructions on how to run the Dell 32 bit diagnostics click here
."

Louis

#3 Mark.3unj800

Mark.3unj800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

Shoot, why didn't I look that up?

Anyways, I found the manual and tried to get to the hard drive, but this is one of the most annoyingly designed laptops ever. To get to the hard drive, I would have to remove practically everything, including the RAM, keyboard, display, and the mainboard. I simply didn't have the proper tools (plastic scribe?) to remove the keyboard, so I decided to stop. (I tried using a flat head screwdriver instead, but it just wasn't enough.) I might try again later, but at this point I'd probably rather have someone who knows what they're doing do it instead.

#4 Mark.3unj800

Mark.3unj800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

Well, I tried again. I got farther and managed to wiggle the hard drive a bit, but I couldn't get the motherboard out to take off the hard drive. I put it back together (3 extra screws...), and the hard disk was seen by the BIOS once, but on the next reboot it was gone, and Dell's diagnostic utility couldn't detect the hard disk at all. I think this pretty much confirms that it's probably a connection problem, but I just can't reach the hard drive to confirm it.

#5 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

Or you just witnessed the final death of a hard drive.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

If you are not careful you will void the warranty. Just call Dell and let them do a warranty repair.

What that error is saying remove the hard drive and put in a new one. Not pull out the old drive and put it back. Also you should not hear a laptop hard drive clicking.
Those instructions are generic as most dell computers the drive is easily accessible, yours sound like one of those where the top cover or bottom cover needs to be removed.
Those instructions are not applicable in your case.

Your hard drive is bad. You will have trouble if they determine you have been opening the laptop. Some models whee it is just two screws and pull the drive carrier they will ship a new drive. Your laptop is one they have to do themselves.

Protect your warranty.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 06 January 2012 - 06:54 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 Mark.3unj800

Mark.3unj800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:19 PM

I can sometimes get the drive to show up, but it's pretty much random. I'll keep trying, because in my experience computer repair people don't care about the data on your hard disk, even if it can be saved. But otherwise, I guess I'll try going through the hell of customer support.

#8 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

Don't misunderstand, we know the data can be saved. It just requires a clean room and a thousand dollars to do it.

Hard drives are some of the most amazing products ever made. But they're as a fragile as a egg and each one is nearly as unique as a fingerprint.

And, with all due respect, if you don't have backups, you care far less about your data than we do.

Edited by LucheLibre, 06 January 2012 - 08:25 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users