Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Error

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Yorkie

Yorkie

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:44 AM

I have 4 accounts on my all of which have Administrator rights but I was told its more secure just to allow one to be the Administrator. So I've done this but the other three accounts can's now access the printer the only way they can access the printer is if I revert their accounts back to Administrator rights

I've tried reinstalling the printer software but the problem is still there.

Any ideas how to solve this?

(Moderator edit: subtopic title changed to reflect problem. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 09 February 2006 - 10:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:08 PM

If you are talking about users on the same computer - not from a network

Click on start/settings/printers
Highlight the printer and right click
click on properties

Click on the security tab
choose the options you want.

If you are talking about sharing the computer on a network, click the sharing tab.

#3 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I'm talking about users on the same computer and the printer in question is a hp psc 1100 series. I've followed your advice but when I click on properties I haven't got a security tab. The options are "general" "sharing" "ports" "advanced" "colour management" and "about" I've looked in all these tabs but can't find a security option.

Cheers.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:28 PM

What op system?

Are you signed on as an admin?

#5 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:17 AM

My operating system is windows XP service pack 2 and my account is admin.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:18 PM

Do you have the other accounts as "users" or restricted users?

#7 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:26 AM

The other accounts are "Limited" rather than "Computer administrator", these are the only options I have in the User Accounts part of the Control Panel.

Do you have the other accounts as "users" or restricted users?

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:35 PM

From the Management Console (right click on "My Computer" and select "Manage" from the menu) select the "Local Users and Groups" folder and then the "Users" subfolder. Double click on one of the users who are having trouble to open the Properties box. Select the "Member Of" tab. Click "add" and type in either "Users" or "Power Users" and click "OK". Click "OK" again.

Now log on as the user you just changed and see if the printer functions.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 15 February 2006 - 02:28 PM.

#9 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:15 PM

I've tried this but I can't see an option for "Local Users and Groups" folder or anything that resembles this.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:45 PM

You using XP Home or XP Pro?

#11 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 05:18 AM

I'm using XP Home SP2

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:46 AM

To share your printer
Open Printers and Faxes

Right-click the printer you want to share, and then click Sharing.

The options you see on the Sharing tab differ depending on whether sharing is enabled on your computer. For instructions on what to do next, click the option that describes what you see on the Sharing tab.

I see text stating that printer sharing must be turned on

You need to enable printer sharing by running the Network Setup Wizard. Start it by clicking the link on the Sharing tab, and then follow the instructions. Once sharing is enabled, begin this procedure again.

I see options for sharing or not sharing the printer

On the Sharing tab, click Share this printer and then type a share name for the shared printer

If you share the printer with users on different hardware or different operating systems, click Additional Drivers. Click the environment and operating system for the other computers, and then click OK to install the additional drivers

Drivers for users running other versions of Windows (Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT 4.0) are located on the Support CD. Printer drivers for Windows NT 3.1 and Windows NT 3.5 are not included.

Click OK, or, if you have installed additional drivers, click Close.

Note

To open Printers and Faxes, click Start, click Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Printers and Faxes.

You can also share a printer in Printers and Faxes by clicking the printer you want to share, and then clicking Share this printer under Tasks on the left side of the window. This option is available only if folders are set to look like a Web page and a printer is selected. For more information, click Related Topics.

Printers are not shared by default when you install them on Windows XP Home Edition, but you can choose to share any printer you install on your computer.

When you publish a printer in Active Directory, other users logged onto the Windows domain will be able to search for the printer based on its location and features such as how many pages it prints per minute and whether color printing is supported.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...t_sharingw.mspx

Security permissions for printing

When a printer is installed on a network, default printer permissions are assigned that allow all users to print, and allow select groups to manage the printer, the documents sent to it, or both. Because the printer is available to all users on the network, you might want to limit access for some users by assigning specific printer permissions. For example, you could give all nonadministrative users in a department the Print permission and give all managers the Print and Manage Documents permissions. In this way, all users and managers can print documents, but managers can also change the print status of any document sent to the printer.

Windows provides three levels of printing security permissions: Print, Manage Printers, and Manage Documents. When multiple permissions are assigned to a group of users, the least restrictive permissions apply. However, when Deny is applied, it takes precedence over any permission. The following is a brief explanation of the types of tasks a user can perform at each permission level.

Print

The user can connect to a printer and send documents to the printer. By default, the Print permission is assigned to all members of the Everyone group.

Manage Printers

The user can perform the tasks associated with the Print permission and has complete administrative control of the printer. The user can pause and restart the printer, change spooler settings, share a printer, adjust printer permissions, and change printer properties. By default, the Manage Printers permission is assigned to members of the Administrators and Power Users groups.

By default, members of the Administrators and Power Users groups have full access, which means that the users are assigned the Print, Manage Documents, and Manage Printers permissions.

Manage Documents

The user can pause, resume, restart, cancel, and rearrange the order of documents submitted by all other users. The user cannot, however, send documents to the printer or control the status of the printer. By default, the Manage Documents permission is assigned to members of the Creator Owner group.

When a user is assigned the Manage Documents permission, the user cannot access existing documents currently waiting to print. The permission will only apply to documents sent to the printer after the permission is assigned to the user.

Deny

All of the preceding permissions are denied for the printer. When access is denied, the user cannot use or manage the printer or adjust any of the permissions.

For more information, click Related Topics.

Set or remove permissions for a printer

Printing permissions assigned to groups

Edited by Enthusiast, 22 February 2006 - 06:48 AM.

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:50 AM

Printing permissions assigned to groups

Windows assigns printer permissions to six groups of users. These groups include Administrators, Creator Owner, Everyone, Power Users, Print Operators, and Server Operators. By default, each group is assigned a combination of the Print, Manage Documents, and Manage Printers permissions as shown in the following table.

Group Print Manage Documents Manage Printers
Administrators
X
X
X

Creator Owner

X

Everyone
X

Power Users
X
X
X

Print Operators
X
X
X

Server Operators
X
X
X

The Print Operators and Server Operators groups are located only on Windows Server domain controllers

Each permission consists of a group of special rights that allow the user to perform specific tasks. The following table summarizes the level of access associated with each of the printing security permissions.

Tasks permitted Print Manage Documents(applies to documents only) Manage Printers
Print
X

X

Manage Printers

X

Manage Documents

X

Read Permissions
X
X
X

Change Permissions

X
X

Take Ownership

X
X

To set or remove permissions for a printer

To change the permission settings for a printer, you must have the Manage Printers permission, which is one of several printer permissions For more information, click Related Topics.

For instructions, click one of the two following tasks:

Set up new permissions for a printer

Open Printers and Faxes

Right-click the printer for which you want to set permissions, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

Click Add.

Click Look For, select the types of users you want to add, and then clicking OK.

Click Look In, browse for the location you want to search, and then click OK.

In the Name box, type the name of the user or group you want to set permissions for, separating each name with a semicolon ( ; ).

To ensure the names are recognized by the directory, click Check Names.

Recognized names will appear underlined. If some names don't appear underlined, click Check Names again. If you need assistance in locating a name, click Advanced, type the beginning of the name in the Name box, and then click Find Now. From the list that appears, click the name you want to add, and then click OK. You can select many individual names by holding down CTRL as you click each name, or you can select a block of names by clicking the first name, holding down SHIFT, and then clicking the last name.

Once all the names you want are listed in the Name box, click OK.

In Permissions, click the Allow or Deny check box for each permission you want to allow or deny.

To view or change the underlying printer permissions that make up Print, Manage Printers, and Manage Documents, click Advanced.

Change or remove permissions for a printer

Open Printers and Faxes

Right-click the printer for which you want to change or remove permissions, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

Click the name of the user or group whose permissions you want to change or remove.

In Permissions, click the Allow or Deny check box for each permission you want to allow or deny, if necessary. Or, to remove the user or group from the permissions list, click Remove.

To view or change the underlying permissions that make up Print, Manage Printers, and Manage Documents, click Advanced.

Note

To open Printers and Faxes, click Start, click Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Printers and Faxes.

You can also open printer properties in Printers and Faxes by clicking a printer, and then clicking Set printer properties under Tasks on the left side of the window. This option is available only if folders are set to look like a Web page and a printer is selected. For more information, click Related Topics.

Top of page