Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need guidance on replacing a modem/router

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fogelgirl

fogelgirl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

Can you recommend a good modem router? We are on CenturyLink (phone line), Windows XP Pro SP3. We have purchased two from the ISP provider at over $100 each and neither lasted 2 years. We prefer to not buy from them again and we do not wish to rent/lease from them.

Mary

Edit: Moved topic from Am I infected? What do I do? to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

Before you buy you will need to confirm that the new modem/router is compatible with your ISP, and what do you mean have not lasted longer then 2 years?

#3 fogelgirl

fogelgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

The first was an Actiontec. It just quit working and they told us we needed a new one The ISP was Qwest which was changed to CenturyLink last May.

They sold us a 2wire007. It no longer sends out a wireless signal. We are told we need a new one.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:39 AM

Is wireless enabled on the router?

#5 fogelgirl

fogelgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

Yes, this router has a long standing pattern of dropped signals. Long calls to "support" (Philippines )have been fruitless. They tell me the signal is fine.

Recently the dropped signal has become more frequent and every half hour or so. In the last few days it would not stay connected more than 3 minutes. The direct line from the wall to our desktop works fine. But I cannot get a signal to my laptop.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:01 AM

What kind of devices are around this router? Cell phones and other wireless / cordless deives will cause signal degradation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users