Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Awpnbi.exe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:41 AM

First of all: Is there any way I can post pictures on here, as I have made 3 screen shots of this error. the first problem encountered pop-up, error reporting details and an error report contents picture.
=========================================================

Ok any help with the following would be great. About 3 months ago I wound my computer back to a previously restored date because I accidently changed some internet settings and was unable to fix them. After doing this system restore everything was back to normal apart from the fact on booting my computer after it has loaded (just before is ready to use etc) two identical error messages pop up.

I don't think its spam, but is a fault with my computer somewhere. I could type out the whole error report but would take me hours and hours, so if someone could please take a look at my screen shots made that may help solve the problem a lot quicker.

The error is called 'awpnbi.exe' and it pops up just on completeing system startup and says: "awpnbi.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvienence. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. Please tell Microsoft about this problem etc etc"

Then I just click 'don't send' having already sent lots in the past and carry on as if nothing had ever happened. I don't think it affects the running of my computer, but no doubt it must somehow as otherwise it wouldn't bother informing me about it, afterall it is an error.

Anyway guys thats the most information I can give at the moment in writting, I hope you have heard of this error before and hope it is a common and easily fixed one.

Thank you very much for your time and patience, Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:54 AM

How to take and share a screen shot in Windows

I can't find anything on awpnbi.exe.
This is usually not a good sign.

Run these online virus scanners:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Are you using these basic security programs?
(They're all free.)
aČ free
ewido security suite
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D

These 2, will help prevent spyware/malware from being installed in the first place:
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard

Download these programs, update them, and then run them.
These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

When installing ewido security suite, under Additional Options uncheck:
Install background guard
Install scan via context menu

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

Helpful Tutorials:
Using Ad-Aware SE
Using SpywareBlaster
Using SpywareGuard
Using Ewido
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:33 AM

Right here goes. Here the error messages I am receiving one starting of my comnputer:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Have tried all the other Anti-spyware programmes etc (well have downloaded them and am running them). But will also give http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/, aČ free and ewido security suite a try tonight.

Right guys, I hope these pictures help and I hope to hear from any of you soon. Cheers and have a great weekend - It's Friday!! Woo woo woo!!

Nick

#4 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:58 AM

Just an update. After downloading and running all the above mentioned programmes I have succesfully managed (well the programmes have) to clear my computer of this problem.

If the anti-spyware managed to do it then surely it was a virus afterall. Thanks heaps. Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users