Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN Ok, Can't Access Shared Folders

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 techsaw

techsaw

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

VPN Client is WinXP SP3 fully updated.
VPN Host is 2003 SBS also up to date.

I had a VPN connection set up for a remote accountant for about one year with no problems.

The VPN connection still works, but the shared folders are no longer visible or able to be accessed.

No changes have been made to the client or the server, except for the fact that the client PC have moved to a different physical address.

My first instinct was just to remap the network drives, but i cant access the shares with "\\server\share" nor with "\\xxx.xxx.x.x\share"

I have also attempted to establish a VPN connection from my own home, just as a test, using the same settings with no luck.

The strange part is that it used to work fine, up to about one month ago (according to my client).

I have also tried to disable my firewall before connecting, that didn't work either.

I have used other user credentials as well and have determined the problem is not just isolated to one user.

I have scoured the server for any broken services or configurations, I even rebooted, everything is as it is supposed to be.

What am I forgetting?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 magicalcow

magicalcow

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

What is the exact error message you are getting. I need to understand if is permission you are having problems with or connecting.

What is the ip address have the host that has the share and what is the ip address your vpn client gets?

#3 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

When connected to the VPN, is the client even able to ping the server (either by name or IP address)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users