Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple problems - slow, locks up, beeps, etc etc...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 computerdummie1

computerdummie1

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

Greetings to all!

Ok first let me get this out of my system....

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! (whew, that felt good)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ; )

My computer that is about 2 years old has been getting worse and worse in it's performence.

It's slower, and slower, locks up all the time, (and beeps), pages freeze up, etc etc...

Just going to my pictures section is a PAIN, I get a green bar that takes a minute or so to finally show all my pictures, and ever click and step I take is slow, or just freezes up.

I am a COMPLETE COMPUTER DUMMIE!!!! When I do an internet search for fixing a slow computer I come up with a jillion different websites, programs, fixes, things to do, 75% I don't understand, or don't work.

I'm looking for the simplest set of instructions of what the heck I need to do, before I just bail out as I usually do every couple of years and just buy a new computer!

I recently installed "avast" free virus thingy, to try to help, and it's only gotten worse.

I also just ran "adaware 2007", and it comes up with "0 infections".

I will be happy to answer any questions about my computer, and follow any and all instructions, but please, explain it in language a complete techno idiot like lil ole me can understand!

Thank you!!

Edited by computerdummie1, 05 January 2012 - 07:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

<<I'm looking for the simplest set of instructions of what the heck I need to do...>>

Well...there are a couple of things to remember:

a. We depend on the data you supply, since we cannot see your system or do hands-on of any sort.

b. We should start with the most basic info...system manufacturer and model, narrative concerning problems, when they appear/happen, onscreen error messages, etc. You stated that you have "multiple problems" but did not provide any significant detail of what those problems might be, when they first started, etc.

Help us...to try to help you :).

Louis

#3 computerdummie1

computerdummie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

Hi, thank you for your reply, I appreciate it, and will try to answer any and all questions to the best of my ability.

I don't get error messages, just everything I do has been progressively getting slower, and slower the past year. I get the hourglass on most everything that takes few minutes......I get a green bar on top of most every computer function in windows...things that used to happen instantly now take several minutes. Every thing I do on this computer is slow. Something, is clogging my computer up - I do know that, I simply have no clue what it is, or if it is a variety of issues...

System info -
Windows Vista Home Basic
Service Pack 1

Hewlitt Packard Company
Model SR2170NX
2.4 Windows Experience Index
Processor -Intel Premium 4 CPU 3.00GHz 2.99GHz
Memory - 1.00GB
32-bit operating system

Thank you!

Edited by hamluis, 06 January 2012 - 07:05 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:11 AM

FWIW: You do not have to hit the Quote button to reply...simply hit the Reply button instead. The Quote button is designed to be used when many persons are posting and there might be possible confusion about which point a member is responding to. Such does not exist in this topic, at this time.

Please go through the following information: Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html .

Your title mentions "beeps", yet you provided no detail of such. That would be useful information, since such will generally indicate either hardware or overheating problems...depending on what the user is doing when such occur.

Louis

#5 computerdummie1

computerdummie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply and sorry about the quote - I won't use it again.

I will go and read the link you sent!

One possible issue after pouring through tons of info on this site is overheating of my computer? I have several large hairy dogs, and live in a rural dusty environment, and I remember last year I had to open the thing up, and the fan was packed with dog hair and stuff.

The beeping comes when the computer freezes up. It's a high pitched thing coming from inside, and while it's beeping, I can't do anything, the mouse, and whole computer is frozen for a few seconds. It happens a lot.

Also, it has always seemed the fan on this computer runs way too much, and everytime I have the slow problems, I hear it really cranking up. And, I now realize I was mistaken about not getting error messages - I do get the "script busy" box a lot - I forgot about that.

I have a feeling there are many multiple issues with my computer, the first thing I am going to do is clean it out again, then go study the link you sent!

I don't know if it's part of the issue, but I got Carbonite, and Avast recently, so both of these maybe are adding to the slow issues?

Thanks again for any and all replies!

#6 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

I would uninstall Avast and use MSE for my antivirus program.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

Ccleaner is the best program to use. (watch the video)
http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html

Very good information:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

<<Ccleaner is the best program to use.>>

Use for what? I mean...I've never found it necessary or useful to use Ccleaner for anything. What does it do...that's useful and safe...that isn't already a basic Windows function?

I don't think it's capable of curing whatever might be wrong with this system, as described in the title.

Louis

#8 computerdummie1

computerdummie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

Thank you for all the replies, I'm working on studying all the links of information. It's all greek to me though, and much of it to techy for me to understand. I have always thought a great business idea would be for someone to come up with an EASY, CHEAP and SIMPLE and EFFECTIVE way to speed up your computer - for us computer dummies! So much of these "fixes" are way to complicated for people like me.

I did take apart my computer tower yesterday - there was a ton of dust and dog hair inside of it. Blowing it out with a can of compressed air has definitely improved my situation, although the computer is still slow, I'm about 50% faster today. I have no clue how dirt and dust all over the inside slows everything down - but that was definitely one of my problems.

Edited by computerdummie1, 07 January 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:12 AM

Dirt/dust/debris on electrical components...increase the heat buildup for such.

Overheating is prone to produce unwanted behavior in electrical components.

System performs in unexpected, unwanted manner.

How to Avoid Overheating Hardware Secrets - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/142

There can never be...simple answers...to complicated products/questions, although many would like to think that such is possible.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users