Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Hanging on Aquiring Network Adress both LAN and Wireless

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 timreed1

timreed1

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

My computer is having trouble connecting to the internet. I am Running XP. The LAN and Wireless Are both hung up on aquiring network adress.
When I do ipconfig I get all 0's. When I do ipconfig/renew I get "An error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection : The RPC server is unavailable. I also get this for wireless. Mind you that I have also connected directly to my cable modem. The Service for RPC is started. As far as I can tell everything is set to automatic and I shouldn't be having this problem unless it is also related to the quote I submitted below about DHCP error 1075. this may be a simple fix but as of now it does not seem to be. please help.

This quote also explains what I have been trying to dig into as well.
Quote from squidproject on techguy org:
I am having a major DHCP error on my girlfriend's laptop. I am primarily a Linux user so I'm kinda lost here as her machine is running XP. It's a Dell XPS M1210 which, conveniently, did not come with a recovery CD or even partition.
Anyway, a few weeks ago her wireless network device stopped working. It would look like it was connecting, but it would hang on "Acquiring network address." At first I thought maybe the device was shot, until I had the chance to test out the wired ethernet, which has the same problem.
After quite a bit of googling, I ran services.msc, and saw that DHCP is not running. When I try to start it from that menu, however, I get this message: "Could not start the DHCP Client service on Local computer. Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion."
After more googling, I discovered that DHCP has only 3 dependencies: TCP/IP, AFD, and NetBt. I checked the registry, and those were the only ones listed.
After even more googling, I ran devmgmt.msc and selected "show hidden devices" and double clicked on "non plug and play devices." I TCP/IP and NetBios over Tcpip are both there. AFD, however, is not.
I've spent hours doing further googling and tried pretty much every fix I could find and nothing seems to work. If the PC had shipped with a recovery CD I imagine this would be easy to fix but alas no luck. I need to get this working so I can set up my new internets and I'm totally at a loss...appreciate any help I can get.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

Hi -
Can you tell me the model of the wireless modem and its aproximate age

Thank You -

#3 timreed1

timreed1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

Wireless router and my modem are not the problem. This is confirmed. The problem is with the computer itself. HP Pavilion dv8000. It had some pretty nasty viruses which I manually removed many. Ran Norton, AVG, Makwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, tdsskiller, ccleaner. Each program found their own viruses/infected files and removed them. I am having the aquiring network address problem on my lan and wireless and have tried to connect it lan to 4 other modems, 3 wired routers, and 5 wireless routers and it is the exact same problem.

#4 timreed1

timreed1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

Farbar Service Scanner
Ran by OFFICE (administrator) on 05-01-2012 at 20:42:52
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============
Dhcp Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of Dhcp service is OK.
The ImagePath of Dhcp service is OK.
The ServiceDll of Dhcp service is OK.

afd Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
Checking Start type: Attention! Unable to open afd registry key. The service key does not exist.
Checking ImagePath: Attention! Unable to open afd registry key. The service key does not exist.
Checking LEGACY_afd: Attention! Unable to open LEGACY_afd\0000 registry key. The key does not exist.

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
There is no connection to network.
Attempt to access Google IP returned error: Google IP is unreachable
Attempt to access Yahoo IP returend error: Yahoo IP is unreachable

Windows Firewall:
=============
sharedaccess Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of sharedaccess service is OK.
The ImagePath of sharedaccess service is OK.
The ServiceDll of sharedaccess service is OK.

Firewall Disabled Policy:
==================
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile]
"EnableFirewall"=DWORD:0
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile]
"EnableFirewall"=DWORD:0

System Restore:
============

System Restore Disabled Policy:
========================

Security Center:
============
wscsvc Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
Checking Start type: Attention! Unable to open wscsvc registry key. The service key does not exist.
Checking ImagePath: Attention! Unable to open wscsvc registry key. The service key does not exist.
Checking ServiceDll: Attention! Unable to open wscsvc registry key. The service key does not exist.
Checking LEGACY_wscsvc: Attention! Unable to open LEGACY_wscsvc\0000 registry key. The key does not exist.

Windows Update:
===========
wuauserv Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
Checking Start type: Attention! Unable to open wuauserv registry key. The service key does not exist.
Checking ImagePath: Attention! Unable to open wuauserv registry key. The service key does not exist.
Checking ServiceDll: Attention! Unable to open wuauserv registry key. The service key does not exist.
Checking LEGACY_wuauserv: Attention! Unable to open LEGACY_wuauserv\0000 registry key. The key does not exist.

BITS Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of BITS service is OK.
The ImagePath of BITS service is OK.
The ServiceDll of BITS: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\qmgr.dll".

File Check:
========
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcpcsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\afd.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\netbt.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\tcpip.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\ipsec.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dnsrslvr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ipnathlp.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\netman.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\srsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\sr.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauserv.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\qmgr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\es.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cryptsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcss.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe => MD5 is legit

Extra List:
=======
Gpc(6) IPSec(4) NetBT(5) NwlnkIpx(9) NwlnkNb(10) PSched(7) SYMTDI(8) Tcpip(3) Tcpip6(11)
0x0B0000000400000001000000020000000300000008000000050000000600000007000000090000000A0000000B000000
IpSec Tag value is correct.

**** End of log ****

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

Other system problems noted?

<<This quote also explains what I have been trying to dig into as well...>>

Is that quote your post on another forum? If so, post link, please.

Louis

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

First, please reply to hamluis, Re other forum -

Only after you reply look at this M/soft ifem -

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811259

Thank You -

#7 timreed1

timreed1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

http://forums.techguy.org/networking/928437-solved-dhcp-error-1075-a.html

thats the forum i got the quote from... still having trouble solving that problem as well. i have a feeling that they are related. no afd files in system 32 folder so i ran sfc.exe/scannow with no luck as well.

edit: used i386 folder to fun the sfc.exe/scannow.

Edited by timreed1, 05 January 2012 - 11:06 PM.

#8 timreed1

timreed1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

I already ran tools to fix winsock and winsock2 as well as manually fixing and that didn't seem to fix the problem either. Ran 5 winsock fixing tools including microsofts.

Edited by timreed1, 05 January 2012 - 10:54 PM.

#9 timreed1

timreed1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:07 AM

Solved!!! Downloaded Windows XP SP3 from microsofts website as an iso file and wrote it to a CD (computer already had service pack 3 and installer had no fix option but if you run it your problem will most likely be fixed). Put it in the computer (Don't try to boot from disc), ran the installation, restarted the computer and problem was solved. All necessary files were there and registry values and service dependencies were all acounted for.

This was not the way I wanted to solve this but I gave up. A clean install of windows has fixed similar problems for others but I feel that is a bit to drastic with the potential of losing a lot of time, software and data if backups are unavailable. Simplest solution I have found is to download Service pack 3 iso from "http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=25129" Needed minimal updating from windows update and computer was back to a perfect working state. Good luck to all who do have this problem and thank you for all the help I have recieved in this forum.

Still would have liked to figure this out without the SP3 reinstallation. Probably would have if I had another 3 or 4 days but that would be too much of a waste of time right now for me. At least I tried something else before the lazy clean install option people seem to take when they get too frustrated.

If anyone wants to know any more information continue to post for the next few days and I'll throw my 2 cents your way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users