Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power button on case not turning pc on

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sw1tch0

Sw1tch0

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

Basically just completely got new parts for my pc.

P67 Intel motherboard
3.3 ghz sandy bridge quad intel proc
550 GTX EVGA graphics card

So i put it all together, attach everything to where it should go (at least where i think it should). When i flip the power switch on my power supply, i see a green dot light up on my motherboard, indicating that it is working:
Posted Image

Here are pictures of the rest of the pc, showing all the connections. One would initially assume my Power SW cable isn't in the right spot, but ive checked it at least 5 times. I'm lost.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

I just used this case with my old system yesterday, so it isn't faulty wiring. Remember, the motherboard is accepting the power from the power supply, but the button isn't turning it on. It has to be where the Power Sw cable is, but the schematics show it to be in the right spot (bottom right)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:37 PM

Check mobo screw standoffs are not too tight or grounded from metal casing. Use only minimum components such as a hard drive, 1 RAM stick, Video card or onboard.

Tekken

#3 Sw1tch0

Sw1tch0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

Did so, no cigar. I'm sure everything is properly placed, it's gotta be something about the front panel connections.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

Did you loosen or re adjust? What power supply are you using and have you tried another spare?

Tekken

#5 Sw1tch0

Sw1tch0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

I'm using a corsair 650W, but the power supply is ruled out because when i flip the switch on the back of the case, LED's light up on the motherboard. It's the case's front button that isn't doing anything. And i loosened them

Is there another way i can turn on my computer? My old motherboard had a button right on it, but this p67 doesn't seem to.

Edited by Sw1tch0, 05 January 2012 - 08:20 PM.

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

also, is the pinout for the power switch on the proper contacts for the switch ? Get the magnifying glass out and look for PWR on the board.

you can remove the power switch wires from the motherboard and cross the power contacts with a screw driver for a second then remove and the motherboard should start. this will bypass the switch to see if it is faulty.

#7 Sw1tch0

Sw1tch0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

So i've gotten it to turn on, but it "shuffles" between off and on, like there's a connection at some point that isn't quite there. I would say my PS is glitchy, but it's been fine for a year and a half now. I have no idea what's going on

This is probably because of the screwdriver method i've been trying to use as you mentioned.

Edited by Sw1tch0, 05 January 2012 - 09:08 PM.

#8 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

maybe you are leaving the screwdriver there too long. you should only have to touch it to initiate the motherboard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users