Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns on, but no picture.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pureadrenaline

pureadrenaline

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

I just finished having my the DC jack replaced on my Acer Travelmate 4060, but when I try to turn the computer on it won't stay running. When I press the power button I can hear and see the fan turn on, the power light on top comes on, the media activity light comes on, the battery light on the front comes on, and the power light on the front comes on. The fan only stays running for 5 seconds then stops(does eventually start working again to cool computer), and after 30-35 seconds the media activity light turns off. Nothing comes up on the screen.

I put a movie in the disk drive and I can hear it working, but I'm still not getting anything on the screen nor do I hear anything coming from the speakers when I turn the computer on. I would try to sign in and try to hear the welcome sound, but the computer has been apart for so long I can't remember what the password is and without seeing the screen I have no way of knowing weather or not the passwords I am trying are working.

I did try plugging my desktops monitor into the laptop and I still don't get anything on the screen.

The only thing I can think of is there is one plug on the motherboard that doesn't have anything going to it. I did check youtube and the video I found didn't
look like his had anything there either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank You!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Try removing one RAM stick to check on the difference. There is also a possibility that onboard graphics chip is faulty or dead.

Tekken

#3 pureadrenaline

pureadrenaline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

Try removing one RAM stick to check on the difference. There is also a possibility that onboard graphics chip is faulty or dead.

The computer is stock with the exception of a larger HDD or do you mean that if one of the sticks of RAM are bad I should be able to tell a difference?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

Yes. A bad stick of RAM could also cause a blackscreen with activity. There is little you could really test or do with a laptop as compared to a desktop. The onboard grpahics chip, there is nothing we could do about that. If you say your AC adapter is new but with the same behavior, then the next step would be as suggested.

Tekken

#5 pureadrenaline

pureadrenaline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

I switched the RAM around and still nothing on the screen, I have also used the cord from our Aspire 6920 and still no change.

#6 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

Just to be clear, don't switch the RAM. Rather, remove one them and test the computer. If nothing changes, remove the one in the laptop and put the other one in, then retest.

Is this what you did?

Also, when you plugged in the desktop monitor, did you press the key combination to redirect the signal to that monitor? Laptops often do this automatically, but it's not guaranteed.

If none of this pans out, I would take the laptop back to the guy who did the DC Jack repair and kindly beat him over the head until he fixes it.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

Who did the work?
I did find the service manual for a 4070, I'm not sure how close they are.
http://www.intellcity.ru/content-2/service-manual-notebook-Acer/service-manual-Acer-TravelMate-4070-4080.pdf
Not a very good manual, Page 95 shows connector locations.

Also if you would like to post a clear sharp picture showing the what is connected and where it may be helpful. No guarantee.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 06 January 2012 - 06:44 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 pureadrenaline

pureadrenaline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

Just to be clear, don't switch the RAM. Rather, remove one them and test the computer. If nothing changes, remove the one in the laptop and put the other one in, then retest.

Is this what you did?

Also, when you plugged in the desktop monitor, did you press the key combination to redirect the signal to that monitor? Laptops often do this automatically, but it's not guaranteed.

If none of this pans out, I would take the laptop back to the guy who did the DC Jack repair and kindly beat him over the head until he fixes it.

I pulled one then the other, then when that didn't work I switched them around to see if anything would happen.

No I didn't redirect the signal, never plugged another monitor into a laptop. Looks like I need to give that a shot, Fn + F5 or F6

I'm not sure if the repair place did anything, this computer has been sitting around for probably a year and a half to two years waiting for me to get the time to do something. I pulled it apart back then and just finally got around to taking the motherboard to someone to solder the new jack in place.

#9 pureadrenaline

pureadrenaline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

Who did the work?
I did find the service manual for a 4070, I'm not sure how close they are.
http://www.intellcity.ru/content-2/service-manual-notebook-Acer/service-manual-Acer-TravelMate-4070-4080.pdf
Not a very good manual, Page 95 shows connector locations.

Also if you would like to post a clear sharp picture showing the what is connected and where it may be helpful. No guarantee.

Good Luck

Looks like the one connection I mentioned that didn't have anything connected to it is the bluetooth. Which is odd because the front of the computer has a button for the bluetooth, but I never used it.

Edited by pureadrenaline, 07 January 2012 - 11:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users