Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

securing external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

what is the best way to secure (password-protect) an external hard drive (software-wise)? would truecrypt be good? i already have data saved to it, so i can't wipe it.

thanks.

Edited by sniper8752, 05 January 2012 - 05:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

Hi sniper8752,

Until some of our more knowledgeable forum members can arrive to review your post, would you please be so kind as to provide the following info which will help them assist you better:

- Brand/model of the computer to which the external HD is attached.

- Brand/model of the external HD.

- What security programs (e.g. AV, anti-malware, firewall, etc) are presently in use on the computer to
which the external HD is attached.

- What types of data are you storing on the external HD.

Thank you!

Edited by spc3rd, 07 January 2012 - 09:33 AM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#3 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:37 PM

dell 15r
iomega 1tb
windows firewall, avast!, super antispyware, malwarebytes and spybot
everything - photos, documents, videos

#4 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

Thanks very much for posting back the info, sniper8752!

Hopefully some of the more experienced forum members & Moderators will drop by soon. Truecrypt, Axcrypt are just two of a number of applications available to secure an external hard drive. I personally have never used either, so I'm not able to give you a recommendation.

What I DO use, however, is Outpost Firewall Pro (paid version, lifetime license) which has a File & Folder Lock program in it. It can be used to password-protect a file, folder, multiple files/folders or an entire drive. If you are say offline, for example, and wish to access anything on the protected drive, once you click on the drive letter the program will inform you the drive is protected and open a dialog box in the middle of your screen for you to either enter the password or cancel the task.

Once you have entered the correct password, the program will open another dialog box asking how long do you want to suspend the protection. The choices will be: 5 minutes, 1 hour, or until restart. You can also right-click on the Taskbar icon and then click on "Suspend File/Folder Lock Protection" to disable it or vice-versa to resume the protection.
I use this feature to protect the two USB flash drives I have in ports on my computer. There is some other info I found on the Microsoft forums at the link below:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-security/can-i-password-protect-an-external-hard-drive/78840998-c810-4dcf-9659-518548833cd9

Since you already have the Windows firewall, then you may just want to further look around at the various applications available. Some, like Truecrypt are freeware, while others are paid programs.

If no additional feedback is posted on your topic within the next 72 hours, you can also send a personal message (PM) to one of the Moderators to ask for further assistance. They are often quite busy trying to answer as many posts as possible, so a little patience will be needed.

Regards,

Edited by spc3rd, 09 January 2012 - 11:09 AM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users