Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 or XP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

I'm usually pretty decent at recommending and doing upgrades for people but I've found myself in a quandry between trying to recommend the best result to my customer or recommend the best price. I hope you guys can provide some insight.

Story: I have 2 monitors for sale along with an Nvidia 8600GT video card which are all spares from an upgrade I just did. So I post these for sale. My buddy asked me about them and then is just like "Well actually can you just reset my entire system it's old and doesn't really do anything." I get there and have in front of me an original condition (no hardware changes ever) Dell XPS 410 (alternately Dimension 9200.

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 ghz E6300 (64-bit, dual core)
2 GB of DDR2 RAM which I think are 667-mhz or might be 800mhz
Unknown Nvidia graphics card (but if someone can find it for me I will love you long time)
Running WINDOWS XP!!!

What the guy wants is the system reset back to square one because it's just slow as heck. He has all the media and I can do this. He doesn't want to spend tons of cash on it but I did some looking for him and came up with:

Windows 7 HP: 100
+2GB DDR2 RAM: 30
ATI Radeon HD 6450: 60
E7500 processor (Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz): 130
TOTAL: $320

So my options are these:
1.) Wipe the system which has zero cost
2.) Replace some components probably vid card
3.) Windows 7 only at a cost of $100
4.) Do the full component swap at a cost of $320

My dilemma is that I don't want to come back with a super high quote for him because he's not into gaming and stuff but I want to provide a stable system that will run for another 2 or 3 years. I know the system is already +5 years old but it's lived this long so why not shoot for 10 years old? At this point is reinstalling XP even an option in order to run Firefox, Chrome, and all the usual internet media players? It's just been so long since I was messing with XP regularly I don't know exactly what to recommend.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

Here's the specs of that system at this link. You could simply reinstall XP, but it will be leaving support in 2014. If the customer is going to be keeping it for a while, then go to 7 now, otherwise keep XP. I would do the full component swap, it will run Windows 7 for quite some time and be a different experience. It's unfortunate you can't get a Core 2 Quad, but the Duo should do quite nicely. I strongly suggest against going for Windows 7 without any component upgrade, you are meeting the specs for Windows, but it won't be a pleasant experience.

3939.png

#3 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

My Toshiba laptop only has a 2.1GHz solo-core Sempron and 2GB RAM and it runs Windows 7 perfectly. Windows 7 is a highly efficient OS and should run without any problems on that setup.

Edited by RainbowSix, 05 January 2012 - 08:30 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

<<What the guy wants is the system reset back to square one because it's just slow as heck.>>

There is no reason to upgrade anything...if the owner is sat with the system as is...except for the current condition of Windows.

Clean install is what I would do.

When the owner decides (for good reason) that changes need to be made...then make them.

Core 2 Duo...XP...2GB of RAM...no reason to spend someone else's money...I would not suggest hardware upgrades for members with systems which are not problematical and currently meet the computing needs of the user. If those needs change...then worry about upgrades, etc.

Louis

#5 bigalexe

bigalexe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:52 AM

Ok thanks, I'll start with a clean install and keep the hardware upgrades in the back pocket as a 3rd option.

Like I said I wasn't sure if you could even get the newest firefox/chrome and extended utilities for Windows XP anymore. That was my fear was that I would do a clean install and then hit a wall trying to get software to go around on the 2012 internet.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
500GB + 80GB HDD
1/19/2012

#6 skorbin

skorbin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

Windows xp is still highly used, so many software companies try to support it along with modern OS's.

Posted Image

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

some one just[in november ] presented me with a brand new still in the box ,never used ,Plll 800Mhz cpu ,256 meg ram and 10 gig hdd running windows ME .they wanted to make it work just to surf and email for there elder father, i installed and updated to sp3 winxp home.and added 256meg ram to and although it ran a bit slow it worked just fine and it been 2 mnts and they say its still being used .

in your case i would add another 1 gig of ram to it and install win7 ,the specs of there computer is almost identical to my own and it runs win7 ultimate, latest IE and Firefox just fine

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 bigalexe

bigalexe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

SOLUTION/RESULT:
After working with the PC for quite some time it turns out I didn't even need to do a clean install of XP. I trimmed out the initial fat from Dell that was still around (tons of free trials and expired subscription software), then updated all the Flash Player, Adobe, .NET, Silverlight, Shockwave and other media player components. Updated hardware drivers where I could and at that point the machine is nearly brand new. Also I cleaned up the startup sequence so almost nothing starts on boot up which helped maybe more than anything else I did. Lastly Windows Update (the machine didn't have SP3).

Once I add a Wifi Dongle onto the PC it's going back... 3 cheers for Windows XP, the most stable OS I have ever seen from Microsoft!
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
500GB + 80GB HDD
1/19/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users