Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

accessing hidden folder

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

i heard that when you delete a file, it actually puts it into a hidden folder in the recycle bin. i enabled the visibility of hidden folders, but i did not see it there. where else could it be?

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

There are no hidden folders in the recycle bin. If you delete a file and the recycle bin is enabled, the file goes to the recycle bin

#3 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

so let's say i permanently delete a file. The greek letter, sigma, is placed in front of the file name, so it is not visible in explorer. but there are programs out there, like recuva, that restore these files, and all they do is remove that greek letter to restore it.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

WHERE did you delete it from?

#5 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

what do you mean, where did i delete it from? let's say i do shift-delete a txt file on my desktop.

#6 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

Then it's gone. It can be recovered if you don't mess with the drive any further, but you've basically told windows that it's okay to overwrite that sector, so you would need special software, as you suggest, to try to get it back. "try" being the correct word.
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

i heard that when you delete a file, it actually puts it into a hidden folder in the recycle bin. i enabled the visibility of hidden folders, but i did not see it there. where else could it be?

thanks.

You stated you could not see it there, so I assume you deleted a file and it doesn't show up in the recycle bin.

So what I mean is where was the file located before you deleted it?

Or is all this hypothetical?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 January 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#8 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

Then it's gone. It can be recovered if you don't mess with the drive any further, but you've basically told windows that it's okay to overwrite that sector, so you would need special software, as you suggest, to try to get it back. "try" being the correct word.

so basically it is possible to undo it after using your computer some due to the availability of those slots. makes sense. and yes, this is all hypothetically speaking. i am studying the A+ certification book. let's say you don't use it at all (besides the normal things that run)... do you think it is still retrievable?

#9 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

Yes, in many cases it is possible top recover data using tools such as Active Partition Recovery or Restorer2000. In such cases, though you'll be dealing with RAW data, noyt a file you can work with. That's why writing zeros to a drive is not always sufficient if you need to wipe a system clean for security reasons (like a DoD wipe.)
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

Let's start at the top. Yes, when you delete a file you are really deleting the pointer in the master file. Actually the pointer is renamed with a SIGMA as the first letter of the file name, fooling the MFT into thinking the file no longer exists. The OS believes the space is free to be written to. What else is it you need to know?

Edited by Allan, 05 January 2012 - 04:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users