Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

distorted audio

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kmeechan

kmeechan

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Hello, about a week ago seemingly out of nowhere my audio became distorted ("fuzzy", "crackling"), it's an intermittent problem. All sources seem to be affected: Windows system sounds, streaming music and radio, i-tunes, flash video. It seems to be an internal PC issue rather than speakers or amplifier because the music playback also slows down ("stutters:) when this happens, also happens when headphones are plugged directly into the PC tower. Audio controller is SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio. The driver was updated within the last year with no issues then.

Any ideas on how to proceed? I want to keep this old beast functioning for my kids. Dell Dimension 2400, XP Home SP3, Pentium 4 2.66 Ghz, 1.5 GB RAM.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

Try reinstalling your audio driver. As an integrated component for the Dell dimension 2400, you may be looking to install a soundcard if capable.

Tekken

#3 kmeechan

kmeechan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED: My IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers for the primary and secondary IDE drive channels had been switched to PIO (slower) transfer mode instead of DMA, not exactly sure what all this means but it solved the problem, apparently this can happen from an optical drive trying to play a damaged CD disc? Here is a link to the fix: forum.digital-digest.com/f105/how-check-your-dma-status-reset-if-necessary-61905.html

Hat tip to Bleeping Computer tech gringo_pr for the fix!

Thanks!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback, more on DMA/PIO:

DMA reverts to PIO Windows Problem Solver - http://winhlp.com/node/10

IDE ATA and ATAPI disks use PIO mode after multiple time-out or CRC errors occur - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users