Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Ghosted' folders/docs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 romanexile

romanexile

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

I have an Altec Lansing PC. Windows 7.

All of the folders and docs on my desktop are 'ghosted,' by which I mean it looks as if they are in shadow. THESE ARE NOT GHOST ITEMS OR GHOST FILES OR FOLDERS, but the regular items I have always had on my desktop. I can open the folders and the docs, but I cannot save new versions of each doc within the folders. I can save and create new folders and docs and they do not suffer from this problem, but recreating each folder and doc would take forever.

Most likely this was casued by The Realtek_AC97.exe virus. I never downloaded the program and was able to restore my computer to an earlier setting which stopped the pop-up screens from appearing, but the folders and docs are still all 'ghoste.' I never actually downloaded or purchased the spyware the virus instructed me to, but I did run the computer check it prompted me to because it replicated exactly my System Restore screen, at which point all of the folders and files on the desktop started flashing and then disappeared.

In the midst of combatting the virus, I started the Norton backup and it completed the storage calculation but I shut down the computer while it was in the midst of transferring the data, so the backup was not completed. I downloaded Rkill before I shut the computer down, but when I restarted it in Safe Mode, it was not there. I tried running it manually through typing in %userprofile%\desktop\iexplore.exe but it did not find the file. I ran Rkill just now but the problem remains.

Any idea what's up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

Download

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Install it and run a full scan,remove infections

Download

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe

Scan it ,do not FIX anything,let me know if it finds any infections

Download

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/unhide.exe

Run the software,it should unhide your folders and docs

Good luck

#3 romanexile

romanexile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

I ran the first program earlier today and it removed many infections.

I just now ran the second listed and no infections were discovered.

The final link resolved the problem.

Many thanks!

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users