Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I find my firewall?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 forest bayou

forest bayou

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:02 PM

I am running Avast! on my Dell 1749/ Windows 7 computer. Avast says it can't auto-update because it can't find the server. I manually downloaded the update and installed it successfully, so I know the server is working fine. My research suggests that I have a firewall blocking problem. My Microsoft firewall is off. How do I find the one that is blocking Avast? I think I may have installed one once. :-) I'm also pretty sure there's one in my router. Thanks in advance! -Melissa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

Just a stray thought. What does the Microsoft Security Center in the Control panel show under firewall?

That is the first place I would look.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

Only to add to rotor123 - Next step -
Control Panel > Programs and Features > Is there a list of installed programs that include a security program you forgot about ??

#4 forest bayou

forest bayou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

I did not find a security program in the list. The Microsoft Control Panel says that the firewall is not using the recommended settings. I told it to restore recommended settings and it said that it couldn't. Error code 0x80070424. I am now officially lost. :)

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

Have you had a virus lately?

This error is one that has been seen here after a virus has been removed for example. However do not use a cure from here that was posted for someone else as they are tailored to the specific computer.

I would go visit our Am I infected? forum and have them check it out.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 forest bayou

forest bayou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

Yeah, I'm fighting a virus. I'm getting help in the Avast! forum. Will I be able to reset the firewall when it's clear? Thanks again!

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

That would explain it. Viruses like to make changes so that they can get back in easier if removed.

You can safely presume that if you get a virus most new problems come from it.

For future reference, You will make thing worse if you go trying to fix things from more than one forum before the all clear from the first.

Whether or not you'll be be able to reset the firewall depends on if they n know it is acting up and can get it going for you.

If not, then when the Avast! people are done come back for further help.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users