Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

fixing windows start up while dual booting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Del64

Del64

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

hello,

My laptop is currently dual booting Ubuntu 11.04 and windows 7. Recently windows has been taking forever to boot up (at least 2 - 4 minutes), it runs perfectly fine when booted. I stuck in the CD to see if there was any start up errors but I cannot seem to access that due to the grub menu. Is there anyway to fix this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

If it is a Lenovo, Dell or Toshiba try pressing F12 when the makers name appears on the screen. HP is often press the Esc key when the HP logo appears on the screen.

You either need to use the Boot Device menu or change boot priorities to CD/DVD first in the Bios settings. Grub has to load off of the Hard drive. It can not interfere with a CD loading if the CD has boot priority.

F1 or F2 on some brands to access the Bios settings.

What Make and Model is your laptop for more accurate help?

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 05 January 2012 - 11:45 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Del64

Del64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

Its an HP. I think its f9 to change he boot order which I click on CD/DVD but it still goes into the grub menu. When I click windows it boots normally. I will attempt to switch it in the BIOS

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

Could be F9 with HP it seems to depend on the model as they've changed it over time.

Make sure the Optical drive is being detected.

If the drive isn't being seen by the Bios or if the drive is bad or the disc is not bootable then it will pass on and boot off of the Hard drive.

The CD is bootable and has been tested?

Just for the heck of it I would also go to the bios and run the hard drive diagnostics.
A drive going bad can also slow things down loading before it goes completely bad so I like to be sure it passes the diagnostics.

Edited by rotor123, 05 January 2012 - 01:11 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 boyans

boyans

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:17 PM

When in Win 7:

1) check what is running on startup - CCleaner -Tools - Startup - disable suspicious programs

2) check autostart services - see BlackViper's site for reference

3) run on administrative command "sfc /scannow" this will correct system files (if in error)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users