Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

converting color slides to CDs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jimvt

jimvt

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hi, Folks:
I've got about 2000 kodachrome slides shot over the past 50 years of my family and other subjects.
I'd like to convert them to digital images on CDs.
I know there are companies that provide this service but it works out to somewhere between 30 to 50 cents per slide.
Buying a slide converter seems to be cheaper.
I'm not sure how to determine if a converter is capable of doing this since the product descriptions are confusing.
Does anyone have any experience converting slides and, if so, what equipment do you use/recommend?

I use an Emachine T4697 and Windows XPHome

Thanks

Jim D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

I've never done slide conversions...but a decent reference you may want to look at appears to be http://www.andromeda.com/people/ddyer/photo/slide-transfer.html AND http://www.squidoo.com/best-35mm-slide-scanners .

Louis

#3 jimvt

jimvt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

Thanks, Louis...I'll check then out!

JD

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

I had a very similar job to do on my family slide collection a few years ago.

After starting out taking digital pics of slides projected onto a screen, I eventually graduated to an old Nikon CoolScan 3 scanner, bought second-hand, and then later bought software from LaserSoft Imaging. I got the job done eventually with a lot of work, and I was relatively satisfied with the results.

Probably the "best" option (if you are a perfectionist and demand the best possible results from your efforts) would be a new Nikon slide scanner (but the price may be an obstacle). There seem to be a number of less expensive scanners available these days, and a friend bought an Optex branded (digital slide) scanner at a local shop (a lot less money than a new Nikon), and it does the job (scans slides to produce digital images). However, I'm not sure that I would have been satisfied with results possible using the cheaper option.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 jimvt

jimvt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thanks folks, for your responses.

In further research I found a program called Memories on TV for about $60
that looks like tit will conversion simpler.

Jim D

#6 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

I bought a cheap SCSI card and a second hand dedicated slide scanner when i had a few 100 slides to scan in.

I also used VueScan, excellent scanning software.

#7 jimvt

jimvt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:35 AM

Disregard my comment on Memories on TV. That program will copy prints to digital format but not slides.

I think I'm going to buy an Epson V330 converter ($99.00) which is a slide to DVD converter.

Thanks for the suggestions.

JD

#8 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

I'd avoid a flatbed scanner that does slides. Buy a second hand dedicated slide scanner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users