Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data missing from DVD restore discs - Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wblan22

wblan22

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:10 AM

Hello all,

Sorry for the poor categorizing of this question, I am running Windows 7, none of the forums seemed like a good fit.

I am running Windows 7 on a Toshiba Satellite. I used the "nuclear option" on it recently to clear the hard-drive and start fresh. Everything worked like a charm. I saved all the files I needed to DVD and the software for creating system restoration disks did the trick. Computer is brand new again and running very fast since I skipped most of the Toshiba software this time.

The only problem is that the data I saved on DVDs is now missing. All of the folders I needed are on the DVDs but the folders are empty? Pictures, music, tax filing stuff, all gone. I made 2 back-ups for each DVD just in case and every disk is the same.

Possibly relevant: The computer was infected with some nasty viruses and m'ware prior to my nuclear option and when I ran programs like ComboFix, etc to remove them, many of the folders on the computer were lighter toned, as though they were a copied file or a temporary file but everything was working so I didn't think anything of it.

The few folders that were recently added to the computer after I used combo fix but before I cleared the hard-drive do have files in them, but all folders pre combo-fix are empty.

The DVDs were FULL of data. Each disk was maxed out on capacity so it's not like the data didn't copy onto the DVDs. I also confirmed that I could access the files on the DVDs prior to deleting the hard-drive. Is there a way to make Windows find the data that is stored on these disks? It's like the files are hidden somehow.

Thank you for any help.

Edited by wblan22, 05 January 2012 - 01:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:38 AM

Can you check it on another dvd drive? Or try show hidden files,folders on My Computer, Tools-Folder Options and View tab, Apply? When opening empty folders.

Tekken

#3 wblan22

wblan22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:46 AM

Ah... ...I'm feeling a bit stupid now. It had completely slipped my mind that hidden folder preferences were now turned off per system defaults. Looks like everything is on the DVDs as expected, just hidden.

Thanks much for the reminder and quick reply. This website is the best thing on the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users