Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

troubleshoot motherboard swap

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ncspud

ncspud

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

Hello, I just swapped mobo in my hp pavilion slimline s3505f. I used identical mobo for the switch.After double checking connections,I started it up.No video signal input is on my screen.I would like some help troubleshooting.Here are my specs.

Foxconn MPC73501 HP Irvine mobo micro ATX
Intel core duo e4700
3GB memory
650 sata hhd
160w p/s
Ge Force 7100/n630i
Please let me know if you need more info

Thx

Edited by ncspud, 04 January 2012 - 09:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

Double-check all connections...see if old board still works.

Why the swap effort with the same board?

Louis

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

From what I've seen on older models these boards tended to die early.
Usually from video problems and problems with the Nvidia chipset.
They tended to run warm too.

Does it even turn on to where the CPU cooling fan spins?
Possible that the original fault was the power supply and not the motherboard?

Power supply is non standard connector to motherboard too. Makes testing harder
Are you sure the replacement motherboard is good?

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 ncspud

ncspud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

I swapped identical boards because the case is so compact, other boards with same form factor wouldn't fit (power supply connection needs to be in a specific place). Checked all connections several times.When I start it up,cpu fan runs, hard drive starts but no video input signal reads on my screen. Not clear about power supply question. As for the replacement motherboard,,,buyer beware

Thx Norm

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

I asked about the power supply since that can cause what you are seeing too. If you are handy with electronics and have a meter? Being careful you can measure the voltages on the mini ATX connector. I believe you can find the proper voltages on the internet. I'm guessing here but I'd bet that the same color wire has the same voltages from a regular power supply as yours. All the red are one voltage, all the yellow are another voltage etc.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 ncspud

ncspud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

Well I tore the whole thing apart,tested connector, rechecked connections but to no avail.Hard disk doesn't seem to want to boot,so I think it is time for the shop.Thanks for all your input. I"ll be back,no doubt,with another problem.At least I"ll have some good parts.

Thx NCSPUD

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:44 AM

One other though, Did you try different memory? Did you try unhooking all cables except from the power switch.You could have a drive holding it back or the USB wireless or a problem with a USB port.

Strip it down to only the motherboard with a known good memory and try that way.
No video is not always the motherboard or power supply, I've seen a hard drive or memory or a bad USP port keep it from even posting. The USB port was physically damaged and the pins were shorting to the metal shell. One Dell it killed the motherboard and another one I was able to replace the USB port on the circuit board with one from a different model and fix it.

Good Luck

167 @ June 2015

#8 supawiz6991

supawiz6991

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

Is your graphics card on-board or add-on?

#9 ncspud

ncspud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

graphic card is onboard

#10 supawiz6991

supawiz6991

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

You could try a add-on graphics card. If you get video then you know your on-board graphics card is shot. If you still dont get any video then your Mother Board is most likely shot.

#11 ncspud

ncspud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

Think I will try an add-on graphics card.Off to the shop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users