Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows crashes/won't start up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hockeymidget8

hockeymidget8

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hello.

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop that is about 2 years old.

About a week or two ago, when I tried to start up my computer, at some point in the start up process (before my desktop was displayed), a blue screen of death popped up and i had to restart my computer. I didn't think much of it at the time since my computer started up fine after a restart.

But since then, its been happening more and more frequently. I've noticed that what usually happens is I'll leave my computer for sometime and it will go into sleep mode, and then when I try to start it up again, it won't wake back up. So I'll turn it off, and when I turn it back on, I get a BSOD again. By now i have to try to start it about 4 or 5 times before it finally starts up all the way.

Also, occasionally the BSOD will pop up while I'm actually working on my computer.

Also of note is that its not the same STOP error code every time. I've started writing them down today and this is the stop codes I've seen so far today...

0x0000001e
0x0000000a
0x00000050
0x00000024
0x0000003b
0x0000007e

Any help you could give me? I'm afraid I won't be able to start it at all soon, and as a student at a college where most lecture notes are online, being without a laptop would be a real bummer :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hockeymidget8

hockeymidget8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

Using BlueScreenView, here's the information from the latest BSODs i've gotten

Attached Files

• Attached File  BSOD.txt   16.66KB   2 downloads

#3 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

Use MemTest86+ and your HDD brand's diagnostic tool to test for failure.

• MemTest86+
    • Download the ISO and burn it to a blank CD. Instructions
    • Boot from CD. If necessary, adjust your BIOS settings to boot from the DVD/CD drive first.
    • Memtest is designed to repeat its test continuously. It is recommended that you allow the program to complete several 'passes' before declaring your memory error-free.
      • These tests are very lengthy. It is recommended to run Memtest86+ overnight.
    • If Memtest finds an error, it will list it in red. There is no need to continue the test if an error is found.
    • After several clean passes (or an error) Press Esc to stop the test and reboot.
    • Report the results in your next reply.
  • HDD Diagnostics
    • Click the Start Orb and type in "device manager." In the search results, double-click device manager.
    • Double-click Disk Drives. The first drive listed is most likely the one you want to test.
    • Take note of its manufacturer (Samsung, Western Digital (WD), Seagate (ST), Toshiba, etc.)
      • If are still uncertain about your hard drive's manufacturer, include what you see there in your next reply and await further instructions.
    • Download the appropriate diagnostic tool from here.
      • Some tools can be installed and run from within Windows, others will need to be burned to CD and booted from. Instructions
      • If you do not see your manufacturer listed, or are confused or overwhelmed (this is perfectly OK), use SeaTools for Windows. If Windows is highly unstable or won't boot, use SeaTools for DOS.
    • Direct the program to perform the most comprehensive test it has available.
    • Report the results in your next reply.

Edited by LucheLibre, 05 January 2012 - 02:46 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#4 hockeymidget8

hockeymidget8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

After 12 passes overnight, memtest says that it's counted 12032 errors. Which seems like a lot

Is there an way I should post the specific results?

Also, for the second test, I can't boot my computer up to see what manufacturer the drive is. But since its a toshiba laptop should I assume it's toshiba?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

You can remove the hard drive...and see who the manufacturer is and the model...then place it back.

Hard drives...in both laptops and desktops...can (ordinarily) be easily removed or replaced.

One error, running a memory check, indicates a problem. After 1...that's just more emphasis that you have a problem of some type.

Louis

#6 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

If you don't feel up to opening the computer, you can go to the SeaTools for DOS link and follow those instructions.

Given that your memory showed errors, I would first suggest to carefully look over your power adapter and make sure it is in good working condition. Also, keep a eye on how how hot the power brick gets. If it's hot enough to cause pain, replace it and retest.

As for a memory replacement, what is the exact model of your laptop?

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#7 hockeymidget8

hockeymidget8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

Ok, after testing each stick of RAM individually with Memtest, only one of them showed errors. After removing that one, my computer has been running fine :)

#8 hockeymidget8

hockeymidget8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

Just out of curiosity, why are some reasons RAM can stop working like that? Is it just age?

#9 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

RAM lifespan is affected primarily by the temperature it runs at. The hotter it gets, the quicker it will fail. Bad power fluctuations can also shorten it.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users