Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Guy With A Dvd Burner Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mcollins

mcollins

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:15 PM

Hi everyone, I have a question, My DVD burner (NEC 3500AG Dual Layer) is not able to burn anything. it works as a regualr cd-rom drive when i put a disc in with information already on it , but when i put a blank disc in it says the drive is not accessible incorrect function. I don't know what else i can say to try and explain it better. one more thing it worked before I put in my second hard drive in.would that have something to do with it? thanks

Edited by mcollins, 08 February 2006 - 10:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:32 PM

Did you set one as master and one as slave with the jumpers on the back of them?

#3 mcollins

mcollins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:37 PM

on the hard drives or the dvd burner?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:50 PM

The cd drive and the dvd burner. If they are on the same cable, which they should be, one must be set to "master" and one to "slave" or if your computer has the technology to handle it - cable select.

Do not connect it to the IDE cable that has the hard drive connected to it - use the one that is connected to the original cd rom.

Here is a link to the NEC support site (PDF) that will show you how to set the DVD burner:
http://support.necsam.com/Optical/NEC_DVD_...kstartguide.pdf

Edited by Enthusiast, 08 February 2006 - 11:02 PM.

#5 mcollins

mcollins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:54 PM

I have 2 hard drive one is master and one is slave they are on one cable and two cd drives one dvd drive and the dvd burner on another cable.

Edited by mcollins, 08 February 2006 - 10:55 PM.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:00 AM

Set the old DVD drive's jumper to master and place it on top so it connects to the end of the IDE cable and set the new DVD burner under it with the jumper set to slave and connect it to the middle connection on the IDE cable.

The reason for that is that if you do it that way Windows XP activation will not count the new drive as a change in equipment which would actually only matter if you changed some other things like your video card or added RAM, etc. Enough changes will force you to have to revalidate XP.

Edited by Enthusiast, 09 February 2006 - 12:01 AM.

#7 mcollins

mcollins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:06 AM

thanks for all the help and the info so far I will try changing the settings when i get home from work tonight and let you know. the cd roms are on a seperate cable from the hard drives. but i don't remember ever changing the jumpers around on the drives. but why would it only stop being able to write only after i put in the other hard drive? it still reads like a regular dvd rom.

Edited by mcollins, 09 February 2006 - 11:07 AM.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:21 PM

Reading the data on the drive may be universal but writing to the drive needs the "address" set properly.

NEC's installation instructions on the PDF page for which I posted the link previously tells you to set the jumpers and shows a diagram of how to set them.

There is probably a jumper diagram printed on each drive as well.

#9 mcollins

mcollins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:13 AM

ok so i tried switching jumpers and everything. i also took both drives out and just put the dvd burner in and set the jumper to master. still no luck. so i switched it out with a regualar cd burner and that worked fine. also i forgot to mention that the same time i added the extra harddrive i installed windowsXP professional. Previously i had XP home edition. and it worked fine

Edited by mcollins, 19 February 2006 - 10:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users