Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need more memory for XP pro

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 INDIANA_GRILL

INDIANA_GRILL

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

How do i find out where to get it and install it myself. I know it is just (i think) a matter of just plugging it in once i have the cover off. Can someone walk me through this? I need to know what to look for online and all that.

Loaded question huh. :)

Edit: Moved topic from Internal Hardware to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

First, we need to know the model and manufacturer of your computer. Their website should have specifications for which RAM (Memory) to use. Keep in mind, that unless you have a 64-bit operating system, you are limited to 4GB of memory.

3939.png

#3 INDIANA_GRILL

INDIANA_GRILL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

It is a DEll Precision 360
where do i find the info for the opererating to see how much i have?

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

Dell's website is notoriously bad when it comes to looking up precise specifications on your computer. It appears it will take up to 4GB of DDR 400 memory as it says here. If you are using Windows XP or an earlier version, it is very likely you are not using a 64-bit operating system, if you are using Windows Vista or 7, there is a chance you are. You can still install four 1GB sticks of RAM if you wish, however, but not all 4GB will be available for Windows to use.

3939.png

#5 INDIANA_GRILL

INDIANA_GRILL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

Well, The problem i am having is a slow computer, and my SIL tells me it is my memory being low. I have upgraded my high speed from our Internet provider. they offer 3 speeds, we took the one in the middle. I have searched where i can and got rid things that i thought were "junk" or anything that i thought could have creeped in as a trojan or malware. I must still have something that is slowing me down on surfing the web. I only go to regular websites for news and such.

#6 INDIANA_GRILL

INDIANA_GRILL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

got my paperwork out on it.
2.6 GHZ (2600 MHZ) intel pentium4 processor
512 MEG memory
40 GIG Hard Drive

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

Are you using Windows XP or a later version? The CORSAIR 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 RAM should be compatible, if Dell's website it to be believed. You may want to read that Dell documentation I linked to just to make sure you're comfortable with upgrading. You can get one, two, three, or four sticks of RAM. It is suggested to buy them in pairs for best performance.

3939.png

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

This will get the specs of your computer.
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

Speccy is not needed for determing the bare basic specs of an XP PC. Simply right click on "My computer" on the desktop, then click properties. In Windows 7, click start then right click on "Computer" and select properties.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users