Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting 101

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 msbox1984

msbox1984

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

Hey everyone :-)

So, I have a virus & instead of trying to fix it, I just want to wipe out my computer by formatting it & starting fresh.

Questions:

1. Will formatting automatically remove ALL viruses, trojans....?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

Yes, but before you format delete the existing partition(s) and then recreate it or them. That will insure that if you had a boot sector virus it will be taken care of too.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Formatting...is probably the best common effort that can be made...to remove malware.

IMO, in today's world, it's hard to say that anything positively eliminates malware...routers can become infected and they are connection-interface devices, so I would not assume that formatting the hard drive eliminates the nauseous aspects of malware.

Just a user opinion in 2012 :).

Deleting the existing partition...then formatting...certainly eliminates malware from the hard drive, IMO.

Differences between a Quick format and a regular format during a clean installation of Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302686

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Router Infections

Louis

#4 msbox1984

msbox1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

Ok, thanks everyone :-)

I have that w32 mariofev mem trojan (McAfee detected it, but is unable to remove it) so that's why I wanna start fresh.

Just to clear up what I should do:

1. Use the disk that came with my computer
2. Follow the instructions & FIRST delete the partitions.
3. Then create new ones
4. Then format?

Is this correct?

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

Assuming the disc that came with your system is a Windows XP (or any Windows OS cd), yes.

#6 msbox1984

msbox1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

Ok, thanks. It's is the XP disc

Ok, 1 last question:

I read somewhere that the formatting process is about 2 hours? (I'm not sure if that's correct). I have no problem with the length of time, I just want to know if I have to be present the whole time (meaning, do I have to sit at the computer and do constant commands for the whole 2 hours? Or is it automatic (meaning that I can walk away from my computer from time to time while it's formatting)

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

1) Length of time depends on the size of the partition or drive being formatted and whether it's a quick format or a full format. Could be anywhere from a few seconds to 30 minutes or longer.
2) Yes, you can walk away once the format begins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users