Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Won't power on

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 MikeySW

MikeySW

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

Ok. I have a new PC. I call it new because I bought it about 18 months ago, used it for precisely 90 days and one morning it wouldn't power on. So I've lugged this thing to my new house of 1 year in hopes that I can get it working. I would be sad to be unable to repair it, since it is the best performing pc I have purchased to date.

It is an Acer model AX1700. I bought it at best buy, and everything in it is stock. I never had any problems regarding virii or malware.

Now, what it does: nothing.

I have opened the case, and if I unplug it from the wall hold down the power button discharge any power, then plug it back in and try to turn it on once again, the CPU fan tries to spin. And when I say "tries" to spin, I mean it twitches maybe a millimeter, then returns back to its previous position. I tried other power supplies on it thinking my mine was bad, but the same thing happens. No noise, just a twitch of the fan. Even the fan of the power supply refuses to kick.

Also, I have taken the power supply from the Acer in question and tried it against other PC's and they booted up fine. I have ruled out the power supply (which would have been a 100 dollar part had I ordered it and tried it).

Any ideas guys/gals? I recall the night before it quit as not being stormy so there wouldn't have been any lightning. We didn't lose power, although I do recall leaving it on over night and it was off the next morning.

I'll check back as I eagerly look forward to seeing what kind of ideas you guys come up with on this!

Thanks,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

Unplug everything (inc. add-in cards) from the motherboard except the CPU/Fan, the PSU, and the front panel connector. Test the PC again. Relate anything you notice that changes.

Also, for future reference, never plug a questionable PSU into good hardware. It can damage and even kill them immediately. Always rule out a PSU by using another known-good PSU, never another motherboard.

Edited by LucheLibre, 04 January 2012 - 04:27 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 MikeySW

MikeySW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

Ok, this proved to be somewhat interesting. I followed your advice, Luche, and the beast came to life. I systematically began replacing components starting with the network adapter. It booted up fine again. However, when I put the video card back in, that's when it stopped. I removed the card and continued hooking stuff up with no further issues. So, it is either the video card or the video card socket, right? I didn't see anything visually wrong with the card. It's a lot fancier than the ones I'm used to seeing,...what with its fan and wires and all.

I placed it in it's slot and plugged the jumper wires labeled GND and SPDIF into the board and it didn't power up. I unhooked those wires and it still didn't power up. Card says it's a GeForce G100 w/256 MB.

What's the next course, Doctor?

Mikey

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

Your best course of action right now is to use a spare video card.

I apologize, but I have to go to a dinner and won't be able to help you until tomorrow.

If someone else could finish helping Mikey for me, that would be fantastic.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 MikeySW

MikeySW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

I was a step or two ahead of ya but in the course of scavenging all my parts PCs I don't have any video cards. They all have onboard video. What are the odds of it being the socket in the board? I have no problem grabbing another card, I just don't want to do that if it is the board...

Mikey

#6 Captain Crink

Captain Crink

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:09 AM

The video card is the most likely culprit. You need to acquire a known working one and try it! I very much doubt that the failure has anything to do with the socket on the MB>

Edited by Captain Crink, 05 January 2012 - 03:09 AM.

#7 joshmurray

joshmurray

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

Can anyone explain why this is? I thought with a bad video card that the pc would still boot but lack video. You mean a bad card can cause the whole computer to not turn on? and if so how can it do that?

#8 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

If the video card or its slot has electrical shorts in it, especially in the main power taps, it will draw too much power from the slot, resulting in the MB shutting down immediately.

Edited by LucheLibre, 05 January 2012 - 11:26 AM.

~ LL ~

#9 TommyBoat

TommyBoat

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

<_< Its a bad motherboard.

Check with Best Buy or ACER to see if its under warranty.

Buy a good used one (from a reputable Domestic seller) on Ebay.

sorry

#10 TommyBoat

TommyBoat

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

Remember...computers are built by humans.

No mechanical object built by man lasts forever.

In the future, buy a high-joule POWER STRIP and
not a cheap chinese knock off. Better yet,
APC battery backup.

They are $75 to $95 and they are WORTH IT.

If you live in a semi-rural area with lots of
lightning activity, the $75-$95 is cheap insurance!
:dance:

#11 TommyBoat

TommyBoat

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

Quoted from WIKI "" The terms surge protection device (SPD), or the obsolescent term transient voltage surge suppressor (TVSS), are used to describe electrical devices typically installed in power distribution panels, process control systems, communications systems, and other heavy-duty industrial systems, for the purpose of protecting against electrical surges and spikes, including those caused by lightning. Scaled-down versions of these devices are sometimes installed in residential service entrance electrical panels, to protect equipment in a household from similar hazards.[1]

Many power strips have basic surge protection built in; these are typically clearly labeled as such. However, power strips that do not provide surge protection are sometimes erroneously referred to as "surge protectors." "

I am NOT making this up. :clapping:

#12 MikeySW

MikeySW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

well, i bought a new card today and put it in. the pc still turns on but I don't get any video. No error beeps...just no video. The original card had a fan on it and a couple wires that hooked into the board, I assume for power to the fan. This one just has a heat sink and no wires. Still, no picture on the monitor. I have tried both hdmi and vga with no luck either way. it is behaving like the card isn't even in there. but when i put the old one back in again it doesn't power on. i'm at a loss here. how would it be the board if one card stops it from powering on and the next isn't recognized? in case it helps, I bought the raedeon hd 4550 at bestbuy. and as far as warranty goes, when i called their customer service the day this happened they informed me that it was 1 day out of warranty. they could repair it but there would be an hourly charge.

mikey

#13 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

As a quick test, I would suggest removing the CMOS battery for about 10 minutes, putting it back in and retesting with the new card. If you still get no joy, then the motherboard may indeed need replacement.

Update: This just occurred to me, but what do you have plugged into the Motherboard at the moment, is it still just the network card and the video card, or have you installed the RAM as well?

2nd Update: You said no beeps, so I guess that means you have.

Edited by LucheLibre, 05 January 2012 - 01:20 PM.

~ LL ~

#14 MikeySW

MikeySW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:19 PM

ya know, i just went and looked for a battery and i'll be damned if i can find one. anywhere.

#15 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

It's silver and about the size of a nickel. Some boards have them standing on end.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users