Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway laptop freezing and crashing to BSOD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cptnick

cptnick

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

hi, I was wondering if you guys could give me a hand. I have a Gateway laptop running Vista, it is approximately 4-5 years old and it recently started crashing to BSOD and freezes up upon reboot after 20-30 mins. I disassembled the CPU cooling fan area and it was loaded with dust bunnies, completely obstructed. I cleaned it out, but it didn't change its behavior. I wrote down the relevant BSOD info. It was "Kernel stack in-page error" and STOP: 0x00000077 (0x00000001, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0xAAB6F8D0). I believe I have ruled out a virus because whether or not I am in safe mode it still crashes, most likely pointing to a hardware issue. Malwarebytes also is unable to find anything. I was hoping you could recommend a course of action, I am willing to purchase a new laptop however I want to rule out a simple or cheap fix.

thanks,
Mike

Edited by cptnick, 04 January 2012 - 01:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ejvariety

ejvariety

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:50 PM

If I was going to work on your computer, I would first install Crapcleaner, Free Windows Registry repair,and Spybot Search and Destroy.
I would run them in that order, then CC again, then Reg. Rep. again. Find out whats in your startup and eliminate anything you don't need. If those things don't work, it might be hardware. Running for 20 mins. then crashing is suspicious, although if you have a software conflict, you can have strange things happen.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

Please do not run registry cleaners or repair programs. Wait for guidance

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

What model Gateway laptop is it?

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Edited by hamluis, 04 January 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#5 cptnick

cptnick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

hi Louis, it is a model M-6309. Here is the log file.

==================================================
Dump File : Mini010312-02.dmp
Crash Time : 1/3/2012 7:53:05 PM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0xc0000102
Parameter 1 : 0xa0509088
Parameter 2 : 0x00000000
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : ntkrnlpa.exe
Caused By Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+d8781
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.0.6000.17021 (vista_gdr.100218-0019)
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+d8781
Stack Address 1 : ntkrnlpa.exe+20c5bc
Stack Address 2 : ntkrnlpa.exe+2cbf6d
Stack Address 3 : ntkrnlpa.exe+287da9
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini010312-02.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 6000
Dump File Size : 134,832

Dump File : Mini010312-01.dmp
Crash Time : 1/3/2012 7:17:19 PM
Bug Check String : KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR
Bug Check Code : 0x00000077
Parameter 1 : 0x00000001
Parameter 4 : 0xa497bbc8
Caused By Driver : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+65a4
File Description : Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
File Version : 6.0.6000.16407 (vista_gdr.061223-1640)
Stack Address 1 : ntkrnlpa.exe+cccb9
Stack Address 2 : ntkrnlpa.exe+ccd15
Stack Address 3 : ntkrnlpa.exe+b3a57
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini010312-01.dmp
Dump File Size : 138,904

thanks in advance,
Mike

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

Info on 1st Error Message

Note the possibility of infection mentioned.

Your second error doesn't provide any clearcut data that I can interpret as anything useful.

<<I believe I have ruled out a virus because whether or not I am in safe mode it still crashes, most likely pointing to a hardware issue.>>

Not sure about your reasoning here...safe mode is no defense for malware that I am aware of.

If the system functions properly in safe mode, but not in normal mode...that typically can indicate a driver issue. Many incorrectly interpret "driver issues" as hardware issues, but...AV programs, graphics editors, and a slew of programs and games...all have drivers.

In my unknowing opinion...the fact that you have issues in safe mode and normal...leaves any number of possibilities still open, starting with system overheating and including malware or hardware problems.

Louis

#7 cptnick

cptnick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

ok, gotcha. To add further information, I attempted a system restore as far back as it would go, there was no effect.

I cannot run Malwarebytes all the way through without the system crashing to BSOD or freezing up. This happens in both safe mode and normal mode. I also tried running Superantispyware and GMER anti-malware utility program, neither one can make it through the scan. There have been several different BSOD error messages since my last post. They are listed below.

The problem is, I have fixed computer viruses and malware problems many times, but I have never dealt with a situation like this. I'm not sure how to proceed because I haven't been able to make the slightest bit of progress with any of the standard utility programs, and because the BSOD messages are usually different, I don't know if I should attempt reinstalling drivers or not. I simply don't have enough experience dealing with BSOD issues to know where to start. And there's still the possibility that it's hardware related, and I may be just chasing ghosts here. Should I post a hijackthis log?

Dump File : Mini010512-01.dmp
Crash Time : 1/5/2012 11:09:51 AM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00008086
Parameter 1 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : iaStor.sys
Caused By Address : iaStor.sys+39d11
File Description : Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver - ia32
Product Name : Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver
Company : Intel Corporation
File Version : 7.6.0.1011
Crash Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+d8752
Stack Address 1 : iaStor.sys+39d11
Stack Address 2 : iaStor.sys+3aa86
Stack Address 3 : iaStor.sys+3afab
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini010512-01.dmp

================================================
Dump File : Mini010312-02.dmp
Crash Time : 1/3/2012 7:53:05 PM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0xc0000102
Parameter 1 : 0xa0509088
Caused By Driver : ntkrnlpa.exe
Caused By Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+d8781
File Description : NT Kernel & System
File Version : 6.0.6000.17021 (vista_gdr.100218-0019)
Stack Address 1 : ntkrnlpa.exe+20c5bc
Stack Address 2 : ntkrnlpa.exe+2cbf6d
Stack Address 3 : ntkrnlpa.exe+287da9
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini010312-02.dmp

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

I like to eliminate suspects...as a means of determining what might be wrong with my system, when things go awry.

The order I usually proceed varies...depends on the symptoms exhibit.

Last time I saw a post mentioning iastor.sys...it wound up resolved in the Malware Removal Logs forum as a rootkit.

I would try to eliminate that as a suspect first.

I would follow the directions at Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html , taking note that the requested logs are NOT to be posted in this forum.

In the event that no malware is involved, we can then troubleshoot alternative premises, in the correct respective forum.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users