Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Award Bios beep codes after RAM install and removal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 devil81

devil81

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

Hi:

I have an M2A-VM motherboard and stupidly as it turns out especially as I'm an IT professional and should know better, I decided to up rate my memory using memory from a donor machine, now here comes the stupid part, I looked at the RAM and thought that looks right without checking whether it was DDR2, it wasn't. I installed it, powered on the machine and got 1 beep [long] 2 [short] repeating, so I removed the offending RAM. But I'm still getting the 1 beep [long] 2 [short] repeating, and all I did was install that one RAM stick. So I investigated the beep codes for my AWARD bios and this is the closest I can find:

1 Long Beep, 3 Short Beeps
One long beep followed by three short beeps means that either the video card isn't installed or the memory on the video card is bad. Reseating or replacing the video card will typically fix the cause of this Award beep code.

But it cannot be the graphics card as I hadn't touched it and its brand new less than 2 weeks old but I removed and reseated it, just in case but the error reoccurred, so I tried other things without success including:

• Reseating the original RAM
  • Installing a new PSU
  • Removing the graphics card completely
  • Disconnecting everything apart from the CPU fan and CPU power connector
  • In desperation even removed the four pin out black and yellow CPU power cable and that's the only thing that stop the beeping

The only thing a haven't tried is reseating the Processor and Fan, but that seems to be major overkill, as it was working perfectly prior to this. There is power getting to the MB, the fans spin, the drives flash, but I cannot find the cause of the error beeps and its driving me :crazy:

Have I managed to fry my memory or god forbidden the processor?
Please Help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

If the memory wasn't DDR2, how did you get it into the slot? Each generation of memory is keyed differently.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

Try resetting the bios defaults by shorting the cmos jumper near the battery with the power unplugged. The motherboard manual will have should have precise instructions. Motherboard manual. See page 1-22, Clear RTC RAM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 devil81

devil81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

Thanks to Leurgy for the suggestion of Clearing RTC RAM, unfortunately it didn't work, the bleeping is still there.

Any Suggestions?

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

If the memory wasn't DDR2, how did you get it into the slot? Each generation of memory is keyed differently.

Believe it or Not I've seen it done, My understanding is that there was a small puff of smoke. When I looked at the memory slot there was a burned mark and sometimes they were lucky and only killed the one slot and more usually the motherboard. Most likely toasted the memory controller circuit.

Killed the memory they were trying to put in too.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

The DDR guys were crazy to offset the DDR2 notch from DDR by such a small margin.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#7 devil81

devil81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hi Everyone:

I've been looking around the ASUS website about the beep codes and they state that if it is 1 [long] and 2 [short], its a memory issue and they recommended cleaning both the gold connectors of the RAM and the RAM slots which I did but to no avial. So by trying too save myself a little money and not paying enough attention to the fact I was inserting DDR and not DDR2, I'm going to have to layout some money on some new RAM and keep my fingers crossed thats all that was wrong.

But I'm hoping that some clever people or person can confirm my diagnosis, please find attached a mobile phone recording of the beep code error Attached File  beep code error.mp3   143.67KB   3 downloads or have alternate suggestions I can try

Many Thanks,

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

More than likely that changing to the right memory will not help now.
My guess is that the memory controller circuit is fried due to spacing on the pins being so different that it fed voltage where it shouldn't have gone.

The Bios doesn't check the hardware as such, it is just reporting no memory which could be bad memory or bad slot or bad support circuits.

If you buy memory be sure it is returnable.

In the future another easy test visually.
DDR memory chips then selves are much bigger than DDR2 Memory chips on the memory circuit board. The pins are smaller on the DDR2 also.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-012038.htm giving measurements for the slots on DDR, DDR2 & DDR3

Google images can show examples of both

The DDR guys were crazy to offset the DDR2 notch from DDR by such a small margin.

No argument there from me.

Edited by rotor123, 04 January 2012 - 06:00 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users