Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notebook problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 05 November 2004 - 08:01 PM

Why are notebooks so difficult to work on? I am currently working on a Toshiba 1005-S157 Celeron running (sort of) XP home. There are some major problems with the Windows system file.

When you try to boot it up, it comes says that Windows was not shut down properly. Choose between:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with networking
Safe Mode with Command prompt

Last Known Configuration

Start Windows normally

No matter which one you try, it comes back with the same error:(verbatum)

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to repair.

I changed the boot sequence from BIOS to read CD before HD, put in a bootable CD, and it says the only way to repair it is basically to re-install the OS. I don't really have a problem with doing that; however, because the owner does not have a rescue CD, I used one from a different computer.

I am waiting for permission from the owner to reinstall the OS, but until then I was wondering a few things:

I was under the impression that rescue CDs do not have the OS on them. They basically just point the computer to a hidden partition on the HD to reinstall. If that is the case, is there a way that i can hook up this laptop to another computer via a router so that the working computer can at least copy the information off the laptop's HD for backup purposes?

Would I be able to purchase a full version of XP home and use that to repair? On all of the computers that I have built (well, all of them except for one), I purchase the full version of XP, and I give (really sell as it is included with the price) it to my client with the computer. If I was to purchase a full version, then I should be able to use the license code that is on the sticker placed on the computer, right? In that case, I would not really be losing out, because I could still use the license code for my next client.

I am under the impression that the files are missing due to viruses. In this case, it may just be better to just wipe it clean. I just wanted some options for my client.

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2004 - 11:49 PM

Would I be able to purchase a full version of XP home and use that to repair? On all of the computers that I have built (well, all of them except for one), I purchase the full version of XP, and I give (really sell as it is included with the price) it to my client with the computer. If I was to purchase a full version, then I should be able to use the license code that is on the sticker placed on the computer, right?

As long as you are reinstalling the same version of XP as was on the machine (Home vs Pro) then yes, you can do that. After installing the OS, change the COA number to the number licensed to the laptop. Procedure here.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2004 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the info. I will be talking to the owner later today to see if if she is ok with erasing the HD. If she wants me to attempt to repair it, then I will get a XP CD. I will keep you posted on the results.

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2004 - 12:06 PM

Some info on trying to replace the corrupt system hive here.

Good luck!
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2004 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for the link. There is one question about it though.

Use the Recovery Console Tool
To restore a damaged registry hive, use the Recovery Console to restore the backup copy of the hive from the Repair folder. The Repair folder contains a copy of the system's registry hives that were created after the first successful startup of Windows XP.

I do not have an option to use the console recovery tool. Is this an option if I was to purchase a full version of XP, and use it to repair?

I did speak to the owner, and she does not have a problem with erasing the HD, and putting XP back on. I will wait until later tonight to see if I can get any more responses.

Again, thanks for the help.

#6 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2004 - 11:34 PM

You would need an XP CD to run the recovery console. But you may be able to recover without loosing the data on the HDD. Microsoft info on starting and running recovery console here.
Derfram
~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users