Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Log On My Windows 7 Machine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 COSteve

COSteve

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:08 AM

My desktop computer has been working fine and I have Malwarebytes', SUPERAntiSpyware 5.0.1142, and Microsoft Security Essentials installed, all updated yesterday, and then ran quick scans with all three programs. I put the computer in sleep mode yesterday afternoon and last night when I woke it up I found I couldn't log on. Specifically, when I tried to type in my password extra dots filled up the block. When I hit the backspace button to remove the dots, it wouldn't remove them and even more appeared.

After retrying a few times, I noticed that I now have 2 new lines under the sign-in block, the first says "Password Hint: Fancy PW" and the second is a link titled "Reset password". If you click on the 2nd line you go to a box that says it's a Password Rest Wizard the states you must have first created a password reset disk.

After pulling the power plug I was able to get the "do you want to start in Safe Mode screen" and so I tried to start it in safe mode but it comes up with the same new sign-in screen and new lines under the password box.

I've disconnected my desktop from the internet and I can't start my desktop computer at all so I can run anything to identify what type of malware I might have.

I'm puzzled because I've only been on well known sites I frequent often without trouble; AR15.com and Leverguns.com. I'm writing you this on a laptop computer as my desktop is unusuable.

The $64 question: What do I do now to get it working?

Edited by hamluis, 06 January 2012 - 09:39 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

Were you the one that set the password hint as "Fancy PW"?

===================
You can try blanking the password.

Download Reset Windows Password: http://www.passcape.com/index.php?section=downloads&download=4

An ISO file is inside the zip file. Extract the ISO to a folder of your choice and burn it to a blank CD. Instructions

Boot the computer from that CD and then follow instructions here.

That might at least get you started.

Edited by LucheLibre, 04 January 2012 - 12:47 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 COSteve

COSteve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

No, Fancy PW is not my password. Don't I need a boot disc to start my computer from? If so, I didn't receive one with it. I've only got a bit of computer knowledge so I'm not sure what to do. I don't have a CD or DVD drive on my laptop and can't get my desktop running to burn a CD. Any suggestions would help.

In addition, the malware is adding in letters or numbers (dots) to the password box even when I'm not touching the computer. After a bit, the box is full and hitting the backspace key won't remove the dots.

I think I can borrow an external hard drive and make the disc but with it adding letters or numbers to whatever I type, or adding them even if I don't type, do you think resetting the password will help?

Edited by COSteve, 04 January 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:21 PM

No, Fancy PW is not my password.

Yes, I understand. But it is your password hint. I want to know if you included that hint when you originally made your password. I sounds like you didn't, which makes your situation rather unusual, at least to me.

If letters are being added randomly without you touching anything, I suggest first trying a different keyboard. If a keyboard is failing, they can send random key presses on their own.

If that doesn't change anything, the zip file I directed you to includes a program called Isoburner that you can use to 'burn' the ISO to a flash drive. If the password blanking is successful, you might be able to immediately hold down the backspace key at the login screen and then press enter when you see you have a chance. Might get you in.

Edited by LucheLibre, 04 January 2012 - 02:31 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 COSteve

COSteve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:00 AM

I don't know where the 'Fancy PW' term came from but it wasn't anything I use. My guess is that it's part of the malware. I need to borrow an external CD drive and keyboard from a friend who's out of town for a couple of days before I can continue with anything. BTW, my desktop computer is a Dell Inspiron 570 I got last April, 2011 and it's running a 64 bit Windows Home Premium addition, and Windows Office Home and Student 2010. My browser is Mozilla Firefox 8.0 and my mail is Mozilla Thunderbird 8.0 and both update automatically as does Windows update so everything should be up to date.

#6 Jardon Tech Training

Jardon Tech Training

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:00 AM

I don't know where the 'Fancy PW' term came from but it wasn't anything I use. My guess is that it's part of the malware. I need to borrow an external CD drive and keyboard from a friend who's out of town for a couple of days before I can continue with anything. BTW, my desktop computer is a Dell Inspiron 570 I got last April, 2011 and it's running a 64 bit Windows Home Premium addition, and Windows Office Home and Student 2010. My browser is Mozilla Firefox 8.0 and my mail is Mozilla Thunderbird 8.0 and both update automatically as does Windows update so everything should be up to date.

Definitely give this a read. Really helped me out when i had a client who had forgotten their password. http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/102005-reset-user-account-password.html

#7 COSteve

COSteve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

This doesn't have anything to do with my password, it's Malware. I know my password, I can't get the computer to respond. There are two new lines on my Windows welcome screen which were added by Malware. I'm killing this thread and starting another with a better title.

#8 Jardon Tech Training

Jardon Tech Training

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

This doesn't have anything to do with my password, it's Malware. I know my password, I can't get the computer to respond. There are two new lines on my Windows welcome screen which were added by Malware. I'm killing this thread and starting another with a better title.

Sorry COSteve i missread your post.

#9 COSteve

COSteve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

Thanks to all but I've resolved the issue. It was a bad keyboard and Windows 7 was giving the extra two lines I mentioned in my first post.

#10 Jardon Tech Training

Jardon Tech Training

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:41 PM

Thanks to all but I've resolved the issue. It was a bad keyboard and Windows 7 was giving the extra two lines I mentioned in my first post.

Good to hear you got it resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users