Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i'm building a system

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 grassy

grassy

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:29 AM

Hi guys i am in the process of building a computer gaming system(slowly) and am going extreem with top of the line components. This is my first attempt and all my knowelege(which is very little if any) has come from youtube vids.I have the Thermaltake snow edition case and am getting a 1500w psu soon. Also i will mention that i am waiting for the Radeon 7970 graphics card to hit the market any day this month and am getting 2 of those.For the motherboard i am seriously going to get the Asus extreem rampage 4 with a intel core i7 extreem 3.47 processor.I notice in my tower case there are 5 hard drive slots, i am used to having only 1 hard drive what are the other 4 for. excuse the simple question but i have to start somewhere.Regards Grassy

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:44 AM

They are simply there should you wish to put multiple hard drives in your system.

You could put extra hard drives in simply to give you storage space for things like music, movies, pictures etc.

You may want to use them to back up data incase another drive went down fataly.

You may want to have different operating systems on different drives.

Or you may want to use a RAID array where lets say four hard drives are treated logicaly as one by the operating system, but there is fault tolerance that provides back up should you fataly loose a drive. The advantages of a RAID array are things like speed, and fault tolerance. This would require further research as there are different types of RAID arrays that suite different circumstances, and your motherboard would have to support it or you would need a RAID controler card for best results.

Hope that helps a bit grassy,
jodav :)

#3 grassy

grassy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:27 AM

Perfect.I like the idea of having a seperate hard drive for my itunes music and a larger hard drive for my movies. I dont know about having 2 seperate operating systems yet, i was hoping on running windows 7. I have even thought of the idea of not having it connected to the internet at all being it will be free of virusus and infectious programs and using my other xp for internet stuff. What do you think.

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

#4 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:57 AM

Well that is due to personal preference grassy, and so is your call. I will say however that regular windows updates through the Internet is always advisable. And as long as you are taking the necessary precaution of installing an antivirus program, you should not be afraid of the Internet.

I have always agreed that common sense is by far the best protection against malware, without it you have no chance. So put that together with an antivirus and you will be as safe as you can be. You can never be 100% safe as new variants of malware come out on a regular basis, hence windows and antivirus updates are continualy required.

If you have your important data stored or backed up on a spare drive, then reinstalling the Operating System on your system drive should be no big deal should you run into problems with malware, or the hard drive itself. In fact sometimes over time it is a good thing to do to get your system back to a clean reliant state, as long as you have the time to reinstall your software, drivers, updates etc.

It all depends on you and your specific priorities grassy, your idea of using another system for browsing the net seems a good idea, and shows that you are in fact using your common sense. But I will stress to not be afraid of the NET, and instead enjoy and take what it has to offer, whether that be on your older system or soon to be new one, or both is your choice.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:29 AM

Well in a top of the line system ,you would want large fast SSDs and quad graphics card.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 thewall

thewall

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

I have always agreed that common sense is by far the best protection against malware, without it you have no chance. So put that together with an antivirus and you will be as safe as you can be. You can never be 100% safe as new variants of malware come out on a regular basis, hence windows and antivirus updates are continualy required.

:thumbup2:
If I have helped you then please consider donating so I can continue the fight against malware Posted Image
All donations go directly to the helper

Posted Image

Due to the large amount of backlogs we have I cannot respond to PMs for help unless I am already working with you

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

You're aiming for the $4,000 computer market? Ahh, the land where performance per dollar and value go to die.

A few things to remember...

Most games use two cores, few use four, and none use more.

A Radeon 7970 is a beast, but it really shines at very high resolutions with EyeFinity.

More than two graphics cards in a multi-GPU setup doesn't scale well, so ROI (Return on Investment) goes down dramatically.

If you do 3D gaming complete with glasses, you will be aiming for 120 frames per second, if you "just say no" to gimmicks and use a standard monitor, 60 fps.

Keeping Windows 7 off the net and using XP as the fall guy is just... silly. Put a 64-bit version of Windows 7 on the PC and use Microsoft Security Essentials and you will be fine if you exercise a bit of common sense.

3939.png

#8 grassy

grassy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

Well that is due to personal preference grassy, and so is your call. I will say however that regular windows updates through the Internet is always advisable. And as long as you are taking the necessary precaution of installing an antivirus program, you should not be afraid of the Internet.

If you have your important data stored or backed up on a spare drive, then reinstalling the Operating System on your system drive should be no big deal should you run into problems with malware, or the hard drive itself. In fact sometimes over time it is a good thing to do to get your system back to a clean reliant state, as long as you have the time to reinstall your software, drivers, updates etc.

It all depends on you and your specific priorities grassy, your idea of using another system for browsing the net seems a good idea, and shows that you are in fact using your common sense. But I will stress to not be afraid of the NET, and instead enjoy and take what it has to offer, whether that be on your older system or soon to be new one, or both is your choice.

Thanks for your opinion its much appreciated. Its always good to be reasured, especially when venturing into little known territory. I have just purchased the Malwarebytes Anti Malware program and will most likely use that with an Avast anti virus program. I also have the Superantispyware pro version which i am thinking of running also. I think i'll be hanging around here for a while :wink:

#9 grassy

grassy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

You're aiming for the $4,000 computer market? Ahh, the land where performance per dollar and value go to die.

A few things to remember...

Most games use two cores, few use four, and none use more.

A Radeon 7970 is a beast, but it really shines at very high resolutions with EyeFinity.

More than two graphics cards in a multi-GPU setup doesn't scale well, so ROI (Return on Investment) goes down dramatically.

If you do 3D gaming complete with glasses, you will be aiming for 120 frames per second, if you "just say no" to gimmicks and use a standard monitor, 60 fps.

Keeping Windows 7 off the net and using XP as the fall guy is just... silly. Put a 64-bit version of Windows 7 on the PC and use Microsoft Security Essentials and you will be fine if you exercise a bit of common sense.

Hi DJ, Appreciate the response, what are cores? sorry for my ignorence :unsure: I think i know what you mean when you say my retun of investment will go astray when using more than 2 graphics cards. I have thought about that lately, but i cant remember what where i got that info from. I have been doing so much research lately. I probably picked it up from youtube vids(hehe). I really want to keep my system in touch with reality and dont want to purchase items which will be an overkill( i think thats what you meean). :) What is a Multi GPU. OK so i need to put a 64 bit version of windows 7 on my pc.I have read that windows 7 is fast is that true?. I have more questions but i think these are enough for me to deal with for now.(hehe). :)

#10 grassy

grassy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

Well in a top of the line system ,you would want large fast SSDs and quad graphics card.

Hi killer, appreciate your response bro, could you tell me why i would need quad graphic cards. And Is there a big difference in having quads( i assume you mean 4)rather than 2. Thanks

#11 thewall

thewall

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

Thanks for your opinion its much appreciated. Its always good to be reasured, especially when venturing into little known territory. I have just purchased the Malwarebytes Anti Malware program and will most likely use that with an Avast anti virus program. I also have the Superantispyware pro version which i am thinking of running also. I think i'll be hanging around here for a while :wink:

You don't want to run both MalwareBytes and Avast at the same time, that can cause problems. The free version where you do on-demand scanning with MalwareBytes would have worked just fine.
If I have helped you then please consider donating so I can continue the fight against malware Posted Image
All donations go directly to the helper

Posted Image

Due to the large amount of backlogs we have I cannot respond to PMs for help unless I am already working with you

#12 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

You can use Malwarebytes and Avast together as long as you set up each to ignore the other's folder.

I found this topic on the subject.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

Hi killer, appreciate your response bro, could you tell me why i would need quad graphic cards. And Is there a big difference in having quads( i assume you mean 4)rather than 2. Thanks

If your playing at the resolution of 5760 x 1200 or higher, you would want quad graphics cards. It depends on the game. Also it should be fine using MBAM and Avast together as i am using both them.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#14 grassy

grassy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:56 AM

You don't want to run both MalwareBytes and Avast at the same time, that can cause problems. The free version where you do on-demand scanning with MalwareBytes would have worked just fine.

Point taken,thanks

#15 grassy

grassy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:00 AM

You can use Malwarebytes and Avast together as long as you set up each to ignore the other's folder.

I found this topic on the subject.

Perfect, i dragged the link into a briefcase on my desktop and will read up on it later tonight.Thanks for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users