Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading suggestions please~

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 catnapgood

catnapgood

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:45 PM

Howdy everyone~

So I run a rather older computer. Not too old, but old enough that I'm curious to figure out whether it can be upgraded or to wait out until I can save up for a newer nicer PC. (Suggestions on what kind of PC to get in the future would be nice too. :3 )
Nowadays my computer is really slow, it's hard for me to run some simple programs most of the time. So the upgrade I would be generally betting on getting, would be increasing the RAM. But, I don't know much (If anything..) about RAM compatibility.

I run Windows XP Home. On a Shuttle Inc: SN85V30 (Tiny "lunchbox" computer.)
I'm using SIW to get system information: (Just ask me if you need any other info since I'm networking from a different PC.)
RAM: 512 MB Currently installed in a single slot.
-GEIL manufacturer, Part #: CL25-4-DDR 4000
Total holding capacity for my computer is 4096MB, with 2 slots.
RAM TYPE: DDR (C3200), 200MHz
CPU: AMD Family Processor

Any help or suggestions on a new computer or upgrading this one would be great! :3 Thank you for looking into this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:17 AM

This will get the specs of your computer.
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

What do you do with your PC? Are you gaming or doing any high performance tasks? Given the age of your computer, there isn't much you can do except install more RAM. You will need a 64-bit operating system to use 4GB or more of RAM.

3939.png

#4 catnapgood

catnapgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

This will get the specs of your computer.
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

You'll have to give me some time before I can get to this. My computer got a nasty run in with viruses around New Years and I'm still trying to fix it up. ;^^ I can probably post the specs in about 3 days.

#5 catnapgood

catnapgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

What do you do with your PC? Are you gaming or doing any high performance tasks? Given the age of your computer, there isn't much you can do except install more RAM. You will need a 64-bit operating system to use 4GB or more of RAM.

The most I do concerning gaming is working with GB emulators and old PC games that probably came out around 1998. My computer can't handle much more most of the time. ;^^ But, it'd be nice to have the option to actually play MMO's or newer PC platform games. I'll need the computer to be able to run memory consuming programs such as Photoshop later on though (This is where I'm seriously considering a newer computer.)
I tend to be more geared to the power user side of computer usage since I'm constantly multitasking, using the net, working on an art program, listening to music, etc.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:11 AM

Then i would save up for a new PC rather then upgrading it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 catnapgood

catnapgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

Then i would save up for a new PC rather then upgrading it.

Any tips on what kind of computer I should be looking at? A laptop would be ideal for college, even though I adore desktop computers. ;^^

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

If you feel comfortable building PC's, there are options galore!

If you are not much more than a casual gamer, AMD's APU based systems are ideal.
If you are more of a gamer, a computer with a quad core CPU over 2.8 GHz. with 4GB or more of RAM, and a Radeon 6850 (Or Nvidia's equal) will get you far. As with most things, higher end components will give a better experience but will cost more.

3939.png

#9 catnapgood

catnapgood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

If you feel comfortable building PC's, there are options galore!

If you are not much more than a casual gamer, AMD's APU based systems are ideal.
If you are more of a gamer, a computer with a quad core CPU over 2.8 GHz. with 4GB or more of RAM, and a Radeon 6850 (Or Nvidia's equal) will get you far. As with most things, higher end components will give a better experience but will cost more.

Ah. I'd love to build my own PC. But, I'd want to do it when I have enough money to build it superbly. :3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users