Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Freezing/Restarting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drmario23

drmario23

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:41 PM

My computer has been having problems for about a month now. It seems to run slower than usual, and it keeps freezing. Sometimes it restarts itself, and sometimes I have to manually restart it. Then about 5 days ago it just shut down completely. I couldn't turn it on at all. I went online on another computer and Googled the problem, and I discovered that the systems my computer had been experiencing usually meant that the PSU needed to be replaced. So I got a brand new PSU, and my computer turned on with no problem. I thought that everything was going to be fine, but just a few hours after I had gotten my computer running again, I tried opening iTunes and my screen froze, and then the computer restarted itself. Apparently there must be something else wrong with my computer.

I don't think it's a virus, because I regularly update and run Malwarebytes and Super Anti-Spyware every couple of days or so, and they haven't been finding any major problems. So it seems like the problem must be something technical.

If anyone has any idea what may be causing these problems, any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

Please include your computer's specs.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 sayeen

sayeen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

Format the operating system if you can...or even before that try this out...remove the hard disk from your computer and plug it into an another "working" computer (ask a friend or someone to lend u his/her computer for a while if u dont have another), if you have more than one hard disks, remember to remove the one with the operating system...also remember to plug out all the hard disks from the second computer before plugging the hard disk of your first computer...see if the problem persists on the second computer too...if yes, than the problem is either with the hard disk or the operating system, if no than the problem is most likely with your computer's hardware...hope for the former to be the case, as the latter could prove to be hard to find and expensive if your warranty is expired :)..hope this helps

#4 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:23 AM

Hi drmario23,

Viruses/malware have a way of hiding and may not always be picked up on a scan

Check event viewer and see what error(s) you are getting>>Right click on 'My Computer' Click 'Manage' Click 'event viewer'...Check under applications and system Errors will be in marked with red Double click on an error and it will bring up a properties box with more info...Check the source of the error..

How To Use the Event Viewer Applet

Pauline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users