Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Green

Mr Green

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:28 PM

I know nothing about motherboards. Other than that I have successfully upgraded my power supply and graphics card.
My specs:

HP
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T
Max TDP: 93 W
Package: Socket AM3 (938)
Core Voltage: 2.232 V

Motherboard: Foxconn 2AB1
Chipset: AMD 785G
Southbridge: AMD SB700
LPCIO: ITE IT8721

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

Power supply: 650 W

I have two monitors if that matters.

note: this was all copied from a program. I do not know anything about the info under Processor and Motherboard.

Edited by hamluis, 04 January 2012 - 02:47 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to System Building/Upgrading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:57 PM

Is there a particular reason as to why you want to upgrade your MB?

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 Mr Green

Mr Green
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:07 AM

I want to upgrade it sooner than later. I'm planning on getting an incredibly expensive graphics card and processor. So I'll need a state of the art motherboard right?

#4 Agent24

Agent24

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:04 AM

What kind of processor and video card are you looking into? You probably also want to look into RAM, case, and a good Power Supply.

#5 Mr Green

Mr Green
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

EVGA 03G-P3 video card
I think I have enough ram. A whole 8G.
Processor wise I was thinking one of the Intel I7, or Xenon.

#6 Agent24

Agent24

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

EVGA 03G-P3 video card
I think I have enough ram. A whole 8G.
Processor wise I was thinking one of the Intel I7, or Xenon.

You probably mean xeon as xenon is what's inside an xbox. =D

I guess I Should have asked this before. Are you looking for a gaming rig? What's your budget?

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

A few things to keep in mind.

Replacing the motherboard will void the license for Windows, you will need to repurchase it.
On January 9th, AMD will be launching the Radeon 7970 which is much faster than the EVGA 03G-P3-1584-AR GeForce GTX 580 and will cost less. Reviews are quite promising.
If you go Intel, you will need to choose whether or not you will go for an LGA 2011 or an LGA 1055 system, they are not mutually compatible. The benefit of AMD is that you only have one socket with backwards compatibility.
Intel Xeon processors are server grade parts, you can use them, but, you will be better served with standard consumer CPU's.

3939.png

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

I want to upgrade it sooner than later. I'm planning on getting an incredibly expensive graphics card and processor. So I'll need a state of the art motherboard right?

You don't need a state of the art motherboard for using high end components. Your current system us fine right now and is very capable of gaming. Upgrading to the 7970 as DJBPace07 suggested would probably require a new case since it's quite a long card and HP cases are usually Mid-ATX.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users